LM-8 Issue

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Just after I got done bragging up my 4-5 year old Strikemaster auger, it starts giving me trouble cutting holes. 3 times ago it cut a bunch of holes just fine, but after sitting for a while it wouldn’t cut. I scraped the ice off the blades and it worked again. 2 times ago it wouldn’t cut the first hole so I scraped again and it worked well all day, even for BrianK. Last night it cut the first 2 holes and wouldn’t cut again. I scraped it clean but really had to lean on the auger to make it cut the next 2 holes. At the end of the night I tried it again and it would even bite. Just skidded across the top of the ice.
    I’m bringing it in the house today to thaw it out completely but I fear the blades are getting dull. Anyone else have this experience and does anyone know if these blades can be sharpened? Could use the sharpened ones as backups for the new ones.

Come to think of it, just after Brian used it–hmmm.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Hi Gene
    Joe’s Sporting Goods in St Paul has a sharpening service that reworks blades and has them available for sale. You can buy a set and get a discount with the trade of the dull blades. Remove and bring your old blades in to compare with what is in stock.
    We also have new blades in stock for most augers.
    Dino

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

New blades fixed my auger up well. Mine is the same auger. Even tho the old blades felt sharp when you looked real close you could see many little nicks in them. The new blades felt about the same as the old ones.

If you give the resharpened blades a try let me know how they work. The resharpened ones are about a third of the cost of new.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’ve thawed out the auger today and will try it tomorrow with the grandkids. If it gives me any trouble at all, I’m going to Joe’s to see Dino and try the used blades. I wonder if they last as long as new ones?

If I get different ones, does it mean I have to quit practicing in the backyard?

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

OK, the auger cut but not as well as it used to. Dean, does Joe’s have new blades for the LM-8 2 bladed auger? I’m hearing some negative remarks about sharpened ones. Planning on going there Thursday pm. Thanks.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

My experience with strikemasters is when they don’t cut it’s not the blades the auger is bent usaully from redrilling old holes or miss use.There a lighter blade and very suseptable to bending.

There is a place called D Rock I think its in Arden hills or new Brighten they can check it and straighten if neccesarry they are a Strikemaster warrenty repair facilty.

They also have resharpened or new blades.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks, ggoody, that’s good info.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Joe’s carries blades for all augers although the inventory is getting low.

D Rock is in New Brighton at 175 – 8th Ave SW.

Dino

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.