Forest Lake Ice Fishing Contest

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

Hey all, I was just wondering how many of you are going to be going to the Forest Lake ice fishing contest on Feb. 5th. Also if anyone has fished it before that has any stories to share I’d like to hear them. Now that the two guys were caught that were cheating the two previous years there will be less to worry about. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place need to take a polyghraph test, heheh. For those that don’t know about it here’s a link. http://www.forestlakeicefishing.com/pictures.asp?show=prep Some pretty awesome prizes for a $30 entry fee if you enter early. 100th largest fish = $10,000 (one of the best prizes)

Thanks, Chris

stuart
    Mn.

I fished it a few years back.We got there early for the pre fishing party and to pick out our holes,4700 people lined up around the area.My hole was about 25 yrds in,the guys with me said when the horn blows run to your hole as fast as you can or some one else will get it first,horn blows,off my skinny butt goes(160 lbs wet)I stop and kneel down,get slammed to the ice face first by a 400lb guy, took the skin right off, my forhead to my chin!Blood all over!About 20 min.later got a small sunnie and took it up to be weighed in I won a little shad rap.My first and only time there!! Stuart

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Body Armor!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

My brother and I have fished it several times. Proceeds go to charity so I look at it as a $30 raffle ticket. It’s well run and can be fun if you get a fish on the board.

Our strategy is go for a panfish and the 100th place. The key is getting a fish at 5 – 8 ounce range and getting it up there to the scale within the first 15 minutes. If you do, you have an excellent chance at hitting the $10,000 I’ve been close twice. After the first ½ hour, there may be 50 fish in that weight range and they choose the winner fish by earliest fish weighed. If you don’t have the panfish weighed in within the first 45 minutes, put down a tip-up and shiner and hope for a flag. Another tip. If you get a flag don’t screw around and let the fish run. Set the hook and get the fish on the ice as fast as possible. (The tip up I use for this only has about 20 feet of line on it) A 1.5 pound snake may get you a very nice prize.

One more tip. Make sure you don’t take a snake musky up to the scale. You will feel the need to get away fast if you do…… Kinda like the SouthWest Airline commercial! Lol.

-J.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Full contact ice fishing, I like the sounds of it!!!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Man, sounds like war out there. How thick is the ice? All these holes drilled, 4500 people running out there? Sounds like it would be like sinking your teeth into swiss cheese or something.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Sounds like fun to me. I’ll have to wear my cleats for a little traction over all the carnage No really, thanks for the advice. Maybe I can come home with a 4-wheeler but probably more like a package of worms.

stuart
    Mn.

It did teach me to never kneel down in front of fat guys

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can attest to your experience. I fished it once long ago and my partner got run down at the start. Literally stampeded and walked over. Makes me laugh now. Actually I think I laughed then.
    I didn’t catch a single fish when I went. An extremely intoxicated female fell on my minnow bucket though. I scrambled to pick up survivors. That wasn’t funny at the time.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Look at the pictures on the site. The first thing I saw is the kid that appears to be holding a Musky. I just had eye surgury and I can’t see the greatest but that SURE looks like musky to me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.