Recommendations for an ice fishing vacation.

• John Luebker

I wanted to get some recommendations for places to go fishing for the weekend (2-3days). We have seriously considered Red Lake MN, but that is a good 8 hours one way from La Crosse WI. So I thought I would make a post to see if there are any other places that are maybe closer but the fishing is still good. We would probably be interested in guides/on ice houses if the price is right and would be interested in fishing for anything, but eyes and crappies higher on the list.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Mille Lac. I have never been there myself, but I beleive that is a really good place for perch, crappie, eyes, and pike. Red Lake would be my first choice, but Mille Lac would be a strong second. I have wanted to go there for several years, but just haven’t got it done yet

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Give us a call. We can hook you up with lodging and trip quotes.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I WOULD MAKE THE 8 HOUR DRIVE TO RED LAKE. IF THE CRAPPIES ARE GOING THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT. YOU WILL BE ASTONISHED THE 1ST TIME YOU PULL ON OF THOSE PAPERMOUTHS UP AND SEE HOW NICE THEY ARE. IF THE BITE ON RED IN NOT GOING, TAKE A DRIVE NORTH AND HIT LAKE OF THE WOODS, IT IS ONLY ABOUT ANOTHER 45MIN NORTH. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK WHERE EVER YOU GO….

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You might try to go up to the Hayward area. Lac Courte Oreilles is a fabulous walleye lake about 3-4 hrs from La Crosse and you can take advantage of good Wisconsin fishing laws. 3 lines and or tip ups per. You can usually find a decent deal up there this time of year.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

If you can find the time and have the witherall to drive to Lake of the Woods, check out Sportsmans Lodge. Jerry and Luann and crew will do their best to get you on fish and the food is second to none…… Check out there web site at http://www.sportsmanslodgelow.com/
    Kurt

GEMEYEGUY

Do the Red Lake / Lake of the Woods combo. It’s well worth the drive.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have a couple trips booked later in the year where we fish LOW then back to Red for the evening. This is one of the most popular trips I have. Everyone loves it and fishing is usually fantastic. Plus, you get to fish two of the best lakes I can think of for ice fishing.

These trips work well later in the year because the days are longer

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

If you havent gone to Red Lake before, I would go this year. I have been there about 8 times in the last for years have caught lots of fish every time. The crappies you catch will change you for life. Catch 14 to 16 inch crappies and you go some where else and catch tiny 9 inchers. You catch lots of walleye to.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Quote:

I WOULD MAKE THE 8 HOUR DRIVE TO RED LAKE. IF THE CRAPPIES ARE GOING THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT. YOU WILL BE ASTONISHED THE 1ST TIME YOU PULL ON OF THOSE PAPERMOUTHS UP AND SEE HOW NICE THEY ARE. IF THE BITE ON RED IN NOT GOING, TAKE A DRIVE NORTH AND HIT LAKE OF THE WOODS, IT IS ONLY ABOUT ANOTHER 45MIN NORTH. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK WHERE EVER YOU GO….

I will second that opinion, Im headed back up there next weekend to URL and hoping to make it to LOW after the weekend

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.