Weekend night trip to McBride or PC?

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Supposedly, the weather gods are predicting a major arctic intrusion towards Thursday. Assuming the ice improves in time, is anyone up for a night trip to McBride or Pleasant Creek Friday or Saturday?

While we had a slow morning on Saturday over @ McBride, a little bird told me today that he went out yesterday and just hammered the specks over there; even getting into some nice ones. News like that that is enough to get me started.

At PC, I caught a fair number of yellow perch this past spring. Assuming any survived the summer hordes and if we can find ’em through the ice, there is not much better table fare…

I need to start thinking about a shelter and a flasher…I better break the bad news to my wife.
    Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Joe,
    I would be interested in meeting up with you Sat. if you went. I have to work Fri. night. I would prefer Mac over PC. I never have any luck at PC.
    C.J. (river rat @ iowaoutdoors)

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I would like to also, but with 3″ of ice last weekend, 40° temperatures, and rain expected today/tomorrow, I’m not sure that one cold day is gonna cut it.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I am in!!! I was at PC last Sunday and there was over 6″ of ice and it was good black ice. The snow on top should insulate it from most of the rain.
    jc

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Anybody want to say where and when? I wouldn’t mind meeting before dark and staying until after the sun goes down.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

From looking at the weather and personal schedule. I would lean toward Sat night or could do Sun morning. Morning bite has been good at Mac. If we went to Mac and did hit a tougher bite I’d be interested in packing up and heading over to Pootz pond…Just a thought

traumatized
    eastern iowa

OK Lets go with Mac, but what time? Since it’s Joe’s post maybe we should let him decide. Joe, are you still there?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

If y’all decide to go, throw it up here so that I can check with the wife.

I’d be more than happy to follow Joe out.

walleyefarm1

JOE
    Good to see you are starting to pick up on this ice thing. Your wife will be impressed when you tell her. I always get mine during christmas time and tell her it is hers but i am going to use it, “No sense of humor”. Haven’t been catching much around here through the ice.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Good. Lots of interest. Busy day at the Rock today-I was unable to check in earlier.

Gianni is right, safety is paramount; but I don’t think we are quite gonna hit 40 anytime soon. Maybe a hair above freezing for a brief spell tomorrow; but from the looks of the glaze outside tonight, the ice might not be in too bad of shape. Then, when that cold blast settles in, it should freeze stuff up pretty well.

I am kinda torn on where to go. The Mac is just a stone’s throw from my house and is producing, but PC has perch. I had a decent day last winter where I got into those perch at PC. Decisions, decisions… Like Rugby and Trauma, Saturday night is probably better for me, plus, it would be an extra day to let the deep-freeze solidify things a bit more. I’ll go with the group consensus; does anyone have a strong opinion on where we should go?

Hey ‘Farm, you think I could convince my wife that a Fishtrap Guide ice house could double as a bus shelter for my kids?

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I’m up for anywhere. I have never ice fished PC but would love to give that one a try too. One other thing, in addition to this trip, does anyone have MLK day Monday 1/17 off? I do and will be headed somewhere that day, let me know.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I’ll be out at PC Saturday morning for a most of the day. If I leave it will be for lunch and I will return around 3:00 pm for the evening bite. I have found the early and late bites are much better. As for locations I do not have a vexlar so I just bump around. I am thinking of heading towards the first north bay heading west from the dam.
    jc

traumatized
    eastern iowa

When, where??????????????????
    What happend, did the cold scare everybody away????

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

We can’t decide…
    We are debating about PC or MCB. Do you have a preference.
    I am in for PC if I can talk everyone into it.
    jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

If you guys decide on MacBride I might come down for an hour or two. The butt-cold really’s got me thinking twice about it. The wind isn’t as bad at MacBride either, so that might be a consideration if anyone else is a giant wuss like me.

I figure two hours will be enough to burn through a 1lb propane tank, then if the fishing’s slow… I’m outta there.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I would prefer the Mac, just cuz it’s closer and I’ve had better luck there. Just my 2cents. I think the ice will be good no matter where we go. Has anybody been fishing the Res?

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

No, not scared by the cold. Just making preparations…

I bought the last Fishtrap Guide they had @ Gander here in CR; I’ve spent the better part of the evening trying to assemble it, hence the early hour of this post.

I say we hit MacBride Saturday night. Lots of crappies in there with some walleyes to boot. Both are species that will hit from late afternoon through the night.

Rugbystar joined me for lunch today and he pointed out it might be a good idea to set up while there was still some light out. I think it gets dark around 4:30, so I was thinking 4:00 might be a good time to meet. I might come out a little later than that (5-6) if I decide to have supper with the fam b4 heading out, though probably I will just show up at 4. I will probably fish for at least 4 hours, once I’m there.

So, if everyone is cool with the MacBride gig, the next issue is location to meet @ the lake. I pounded the specks last spring in the north arm, launching out the sailboat pen. Assuming safe ice, I say we try the north arm and park at the sailboat ramp.

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

P.S.-I may be fishing PC in the early AM Saturday with my son, if we make it out, I’ll share my findings.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Had another guy from work interested in going as well, planning right now to meet on MacBride at 3pm Saturday at the boat ramp by the Beach. I am open to moving the location to the Sailboat Ramp, but I am a rookie in that area. I may try to get the new guy(it will be his first trip ever) on a couple fish by the Beach before moving over. But if everyone is sold on the Sailboat Ramp I’ll be there at 4 bells.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Joe, I’ll call ya and make sure we are synched up on location and relative times before tomorrow.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Rugby:

We can meet at the ramp by the beach (4PM), then make a final decision from there. I just got finished putting my Fishtrap together, might still try to take my boy to PC for an hour or so if I can ever get outta here (slept in today). I will have my cell phone with me, if anyone wants to meet up and wants to know where we are, just call. (319) 270-2073.

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.