Cold Fronts in Winter?

• BigCat

Quick question, how does a cold snap like the one coming this weekend effect how the fish bite in the winter? I know what it can do to fishing during the open water season, but was wondering if the same change in feeding habits happens through the ice. Just curious because a group of us are heading to Mille Lacs this weekend.

Thanks!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know a thing about Mille Lacs but I try to avoid cold fronts in winter time. The best bites I have seen come in the warm snap directly following the cold wave.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I don’t think it effects winter fishing as it does in open water. Ive been on Mille lacs, Winni and Lake of the Woods in stable weather leading to a deep freeze of 20-30 below and it didnt effect fishing at all.

BigCat

Thanks Derek, that gives me a little more confidence for the weekend. I’m just glad we a have a permanent for a base camp.

AdamJohnson
    Brainerd, MN.

Although I believe that cold fronts in the winter can have some affect on the fishing, I don’t think it is anywhere near the affect they have in the summer. Water temps in the winter stay more or less stable no matter what the air temp is so cooling water isn’t a factor. Pressure changes can have some affect on the fishing, but I am undecided on how much this affects the fishing. The other thing to consider is that along with cold fronts in winter comes a lot of clear skies and sunshine. You will want to consider light penetration when choosing the species you are after and the time of day, depth and activity level of those fish. As we get more and more snow on top of the ice, however, light penetration is less and less of a factor.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.