Bone Lake

• Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Hey i was up at Bone Lake over the new years weekend and the perch action was pretty good, we fished on the west side of the northern part of the lake right off the hook point ’bout 18-20 feet of water. Jigged any kinda spoon with wax worms or minnows, all the kids had action we ended up with 20 nice eating perch and let go a bunch too.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

What area of the state is that in? Is this lake preety big?

red89
    Hudson

Bone lake is in Polk County. It is a large narrow lake of 1781 acres, and one of the best muskie lakes in the state. I think that pretty much answers your questions.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks Lardy for the report from up Polk county way. I like fishing perch up on Bone. I was going to hit Wissota tonight but I may try for the Bone perch and maybe even try for a few gills over to Big Round this Sat or Sun instead.
    Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

You heard how they’ve been doing on Big Round. I was thinking of heading up there maybe during the week next week?

leinieman

I haven’t heard but Btmfinder and myself may head that way Sunday for the day so I will let you all know if we make it up there. I’ll post results whether we catch them or not so you know whats happening up that way. If anyone gets up there Saturday please post how you do. Thanks

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Anyone have any new info on the bite on bone. I would like to head up there soon. I have fished the lake in the winter and summer a few times, but am having trouble finding some of the better spots. On the hard water I have fished out by the islands, with good perch action and little luck on tip-ups. If anyone would like to share some info. on the right area to set up for northern and bass or where to get into some panfish besides perch would be great. I’m not looking for anyones secret spot, but perhaps the general area would be nice to know. PM me if possible..thanks.

leinieman

Good morning everyone. Btmfinder and I made the up north trip yesterday (Sunday) to try Bone lake to put some perch fillets in the fridge. We only had to drill seven hole before we found our spot for the couple of hours that we would spend on the ice. We drove on the lake at the public boat landing on the north end of the lake. We went past all the folks set up on that end of the lake and once we felt like we were away from the crowds we stoped and drilled a few holes. We caught perch right away but they weren’t quite the size we were hoping for so we moved on and headed south towards the Islands. We were about half way to the island and about even with the large point that sticks out from the west shore. We were just about dead center between the point and some resort on the east shore. There is an access there and they had some kind of ice races going on yesterday but it didn’t stop the perch from biting. We left the lake with our limit of nice eater size perch. We didn’t set out any tip ups for the northerns and we didn’t happen across any of the crappies in the lake. I would just be guessing but I think that anywhere along the shoreline (shallower water with summerged weedlines) would be where you would want to set up for the northerens. I saw quite a few tip ups set up on the north end of the lake near the public access and there were people tip up fishing the bay to the right of the public acess as you drive on the lake. I would rather try some of the shoreline that was away from the crowd.. For other kinds of Panfish I would try Big Round for gills or walleyes and maybe next weekend that will be where I concentrate my efforts and if’s as cold as I hear it may be we may set out tipups and watch out the windows of my Otter for flags.Steve

modauger
    West Central Wisconsin

I headed to Bone today – the perch bite was pretty decent. A buddy and me had 34 perch when we left the ice. The aqua vu showed many fish, who were willing to bite anything with a waxie on it – even crappie minnows worked good, but weren’t as hot as waxworms. We fished in 34 feet of water near the north end of the lake. I think anyone would be able to catch fish if they were willing to drill a few holes and drop a vexilar down to investigate.

Good fishing….

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Any new news? I am heading up there Saturday.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

I’m also heading up on Saterday. Thinking about tip-up fishing the north end. Any info on the bite would be appreciated

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Fished the lake for a few hours today. Set up in the north bay. Perch were slow, and flags weren’t flying. Left around mid-day and set up on Lil Round. Suprising the northern bite was slow there as well. Overall, not a grand day on the ice

leinieman

Thanks for the update. How was the weather up at bone and Lil Round ? I’ve never tried lil Round before but Big Round is pretty good at times. Steve

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

The weather was decent, except when the gusting winds would blow. Our tips would be covered in snow after 45 minutes or so. It was kinda odd. One minute the sun would be out, and then the next it was snowing. As far as little round; it used to be a remote lake that no one fished. Now it seems like it gets more and more pressure, especially from bluegill fishermen. I go there when I want to get a lot of tip ups and dont care about quality. (mostly small northerns)The lake itself is only 68 acres, and if you go there you better have a 4WD truck otherwise it’s quite a walk out.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Fished Bone from 8-1 today by the islands. Caught around eighty perch with some gills mixed in between. The bite was on waxies, and the fish came in spurts. Had to catch 2 or 3 to find a real nice keeper. Also had flags out…5 flags….2 northern at 26″ and 31″. Overall not a bad day. Heard from other people some real nice bluegills were being cuaght up in the north end before dark.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

The perch bite today was slow to say the least. I saw a lot of people moving around. The flags were also slow, but did manage to land one 34″ northern. How was everyone else’s day?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.