I.D. Requirements for Ice Shelters in MN

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

From the MN DNR Website at: Shelters Placed on the Ice Must Have Proper Identification

Fish houses, dark houses and portable shelters placed on the ice must have proper identification (2005-01-04)

It’s a sign of the season, fish houses, dark houses and portable shelters dotting Minnesota waters as anxious anglers ready for another ice fishing season.

“Ice fishing is among the most popular Minnesota winter activities, with about 140,000 ice fishing shelter licenses sold last year,” said DNR Chief Conservation Officer Mike Hamm, “but with this opportunity comes some responsibility.”

Hamm said all shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses and portable shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have the complete name and address, driver’s license number or MDNR number that’s issued to the individual through the Electronic Licensing System(ELS) system plainly and legibly displayed in readily visible locations on the outside in letters and figures at least 2 inches in height.

Dark houses, fish houses and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while fishing must be licensed, except that a license is not required on border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa and South Dakota. The tag, furnished with the license, must be attached to the exterior in a readily visible location.

Hamm also urged snowmobilers and ATV riders to be aware of fish houses partially or completely hidden by snow. “Night riders should be very alert and slow down, you may hit one of these before you ever see it. So drive at a speed which will allow you time to see potential hazards and avoid them,” Hamm said.

The following regulations apply to fish houses, dark houses, and portable shelters used on all Minnesota waters, unless noted in the 2004 Minnesota Fishing Regulations Handbook.

– Dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters must have a door that can be opened from the outside at any time when in use.

– No person may erect a dark house, fish house, or shelter within 10 feet of an existing dark house, fish house, or shelter.

– Fish houses left on the ice overnight need to have at least 2 square inches of reflective material on each side of the house.

– Portable dark houses, fish houses, and shelters may be used for fishing within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), but must be removed from the ice each night. The structure must be removed from the BWCAW each time the occupant leaves the BWCAW.

John Luebker

Quote:

Dark houses, fish houses and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while fishing must be licensed, except that a license is not required on border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa and South Dakota. The tag, furnished with the license, must be attached to the exterior in a readily visible location.

So I looked at the WI DNR page 13 site and they state this

“The shelter owner’s name and address (in English) must
    be legibly painted or otherwise affixed on the outside of the fishing shelter with block
    lettering a minimum of one inch square and in contrasting colors. Fishing shelters that are
    occupied or otherwise in use are exempt from this requirement. Fishing shelters on
    Wisconsin boundary waters with Iowa, Michigan or Minnesota must display the name and
    address on all shelters at all times, even portable shelters that are occupied or in use.”

So I think tonight I am just going to put my name on mine

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I asked the MN DNR just how they expected me to attach that stupid sticky backed piece of paper to a waterproofed canvas portable, and all the guy could do was stammer. They had no idea. If it was a cost savings thing i’d be happy to cough up another buck or two for the old solid tag! I don’t know what’s worse, that or the “piece of string” method for deer tags.

It also seems amusing to me that I can drag my Otter sled out on the ice and I don’t need a license, unless I pop the tent part up.

At least they don’t tax the scenery (yet).

Rootski

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Another reason they should do away with this stupid law….. I can drive my pickup out on the ice and watch tip ups all day while sitting in the nice warm “shelter” of my truck without an additional license…..

Wait, better not give them any ideas. Minnesota > Land of 10,000 regulations and 10,000 taxes to go with them!

-J.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

But if you were fishing from inside the vehicle you would. Had a buddy from WI go to Winnie and he has a van fixed up that has holes in the floor with sleeves that he runs down to the ice. He checked with DNR and they said he needed to license it. He was checked by the CO while up there and complimented on both the design and having it licensed.

Land of 10,000 fees is correct. Just got my canoe renewal. Up to $18 now with all the added fees.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

When we Wisconsinites are fishing WI-Mn boundary waters we must have our name and address affixed to the portables. I talked to the WI DNR a few minutes ago and confirmed a few other things as well. One was while fishing Lawrence Lake WI anglers are only allowed to use 2 lines, not three .

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

So if im gittin it right, you can have a shack and not fishing in it and have no shack license, correct? How much does the license cost you guys?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two weeks ago it was $14.95. I’m not sure if the ’05 fees have changes.

This is unconfirmed, but the way the story goes there was a bill in the senate to exclude “portable” shacks from being licensed….If I recall correctly…If you took it home with you…it didn’t need to have a license. It looked like it was going to pass, but then someone said that “all the resort owners would take there houses in each night to avoid the fees” and the bill was toast…

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I’m getting pretty sick of all the fees and licenses and multiple sticky cards and stamps for each sport, my wallet is fat from all these dang cards, not money like BrianK. Isn’t there a way that you could at the begining of the year sign up with the dnr for all of the sporting events (hunting, fishing) and scan it into your drivers license? Then give the CO’s a scanner so when they check you, they scan your card and either your legal or not??

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

No, thats too simple and convienient.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Or get Mn to have a Patron license like WI that would cover almost everything. My wife takes money out of mine to keep the wallet from bulging.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I personally don’t complain about the license fees as I figure the DNR uses the money to help me have a better time on the water fishing. Its a very cheap price to pay for the enjoyment of fishing. You would spend more than that money going out on the town in one night and think nothing of it while I get the enjoyment of fishing and catching fish all year long for that small fee. It all depends on how you choose to look at it I guess. I love fishing so I gladly pay the small fees to enjoy doing what I love to do-go fishin!
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

not money like BrianK

You didn’t get into Putz’s peppermint did you?

That is a very good idea…but to fund the change in technology…the Great State of MN would have to create another “stickem” that don’t stick…and charge for a something that we don’t pay for yet.

Oh…here it is!! A tip up tax!

For $9.95 each you register your tip up. Remember to put your sticker on it along with your name address, d/l number or DNR number …with letters at least 2 inches high.

Guess I’m getting a little carried away again….

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Ah, Brian, the peppermint comment again. Ya gotta admit it went good. The only thing better is a peanut butter, jelly, and venison sausage sandwich washed down with a beer and tomato juice.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Glad to see they are making you put reflectors on the houses. It is just common sense but it took a law for us to do it. Very scary when you are sitting in your portable and have a sled do 100 mph just a few feeet next to the house.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I am really slow,( perhaps the cold has fozen my brain! )…so please be specific.
    I have a portable and live in MN. Do I need to buy a licence for this? I have the Name, address thing done already.
    Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For use in MN, yes, it needs to be licensed. Even if it is a portable. But if I read that correctly, you do not need a license for use on border waters.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I do beleive it has to be registered for inland waters. For boundary waters it doesn’t have to. At least that’s the way it used to be…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I went back and added that very info just before you posted your’s Mr. Fleck of Blue.

Quote:

I do beleive it has to rest registered for inland waters. For boundary waters it doesn’t have to. At least that’s the way it used to be…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I just called to double check it too. It’s on page 46 of the regulations booklet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just to make this more confusing….

If you have your house on the ice on in land MN waters…BUT are not fishing out of it….you don’t need a sticker/name on it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thought it’s time to bring this to the top….

If you have a “flip up” style…you don’t need a lic…unless you flip it up!

Don’t think anything has changed from last year.

Did the WI law pass?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bringing this back to the top about requirements for ice houses and portable ice houses.
    Thanks, Bill

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Just to make this more confusing….

If you have your house on the ice on in land MN waters…BUT are not fishing out of it….you don’t need a sticker/name on it.

No, all shelters brought onto Minnesota Lakes must have the NAME and Drivers license number or DNR number of the owner displayed.

You only need a shelter tag While fishing out of said shelter.

MN STATUTES

Although, I am not sure a fishtrap is consirdered a fishouse if its flipped down and not in use on the ice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Back to the top for those who haven’t had their portables out yet.

3670wayne
    So. St. Paul

Here’s my question. I have two portables. A Fishtrap Guide pullover and a Clam 6800. If I go out with both my shacks, only put up the 6800 and leave the tarp down on the pullover, do I need two licenses? I actually may do this next week on Winnie. If it sounds wrong I will just go buy the other tag. Thanks Guys.

P.S. What I do with the tag is put it inside a plastic sleeve with an alligator type clip and attach it to the outside each time I go out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.