No ice is safe!!!

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

Is it just me or is a membership required to read articles on this site? Please let me know if I missed something, I’d like to read this. Thanks

Chris

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Chris,
    There is another link right above the pic. Just click on the Full Story.
    Ron

phishmn

Below is the article. Our cabin is on this lake and folks have been driving all over the place at least since x-mas weekend. Scary stuff.

Angler’s body recovered

Celeste Beam, Staff Reporter
    01/05/2005

Divers recovered the body of a 25-year-old Evansville man, missing since Thursday, on Lake Pelican Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities from Douglas and Grant counties started searching the lake Tuesday morning after a State Patrol helicopter spotted a vehicle that had fallen through an ice heave.

Lee Evan Elmer was last seen leaving Lake Moses around 10:30 p.m. December 30 in a 1997 red Ford Super Cab pickup.

The dive team searched an area six to 10 feet deep, fighting bitterly cold temperatures of 14 below zero, said Douglas County Sheriff Bill Ingebrigtsen.

Divers found the pickup first and then recovered the body a short time later near the Ashby Resort or just before what is known as “the narrows.”

Pelican Lake is located near Ashby, just west of County Road 82 in Grant County.

Elmer, a 1997 graduate of Evansville High School, is the son of Shane and Cheryl Elmer of Evansville.

Check the Echo Press Web site, http://www.echopress.com, for updated information.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Now you know why I like the ice to be able to support my little green Geo before I go out on it. Call me chicken but at least I’m still alive and kickin. You just never know how strong or thick the ice is as it can be thick in one area and thin in the next. Especially if the lakes has springs in it. I remember one year we were driving onto a lake to go out to where the ice houses were and we traveled across a spot where there was no snow just ice in the pathway and crossed it again coming back. After we got back on shore a guy told us that the area that just had ice and no snow that we just drove over was open water the day before because of a spring there. To this day I swear the Lord had to have gotten us across that area safely as it wasn’t cold enough out for that spot to have iced up thick enough for my Geo and three people in it to get over it without falling into the hole. Thanks Lord.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.