McBride Crappies

• jason-pitts
    Des Moines, IA and Hager City, WI

Anyone catching any crappies at McBride? Is the ice safe? Thinking about heading there this weekend and I am a very novice ice fisherman. Thanks

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I still haven’t been out, but for ice conditions, I would call Cleppe’s bait and gas station in Ely. They’ll know if people are fishing, and usually if people are catching as well.

I’ve at least gotten my auger spun up. It’ll run for a few seconds if I dump in some gas, but it won’t suck any down on its own yet. Another day of tinkering should pretty much have it running like a top. What day are you thinking of heading down?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I’ll be there when ever you guys decide to do… just chine in.
    jc

jason-pitts

Maybe saturday mid morning, not sure yet. I have to talk it over with the war dept.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Well, that whole running like a top thing took longer than I thought it would. Took a lot more cussing also (post on general discussion forum tells it all).

Right now, I’ll plan on being at the main ramp around 7-or-7:30ish Saturday, unless you guys want to meet somewhere else. I’m in Ely now, so I’ll plan on swinging by Cleppes for bait.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

This is the main boat ramp in the park itself right?
    I will most likily just try to meet you at cleppes so I can pick up some waxies as well. Say 7ish?
    jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

7-ish at Cleppe’s sounds fine. See you there.

jason-pitts

I will have to take a rain check for this weekend guys. My buddies have been calling today and laughing at me for having to work. They are coyote hunting in Dubuque County and are running them crazy. Since we don’t get much snow anymore, have to take advantage of being able to exterminate a few yotes when we can. Let me know how you do. Rookie

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Called Cleppe’s yesterday to see if the ice was safe. They didn’t really have much info, but said that people were fishing before the bad weather set in. They did say that someone put a snowmobile through a couple days ago, but that seems to happen almost every year, even when there’s enough ice to drive a car off the main ramp.

I figure we’ll just drill often to check the ice. If we need to go to plan B, well, I’ve got some ideas.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Sounds good. I got some info about Hannon Lake and the ice should be fine there. The gills are around 7 inches and it has some steller crappies.
    jc

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Just a not about Hannen–no minnows are allowed there.

–Whitey

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Minners? I am carolina rigging sammies.
    jc

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.