Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Caught a lot of this size this weekend.

clarence_chapman

Crappie here and there.
    Sunnies are the best bet right now

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’m taking the grandkids out there tomorrow. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

clarence_chapman

Sorry Putz, didn’t see your post till today.
    How did you do last week? I haven’t had time to get down there.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Caught a couple of smaller sunnies mid-afternoon on the west side and then the boys showed up. 10 minutes of fishing and then it was running around, wrestling in the snow, building forts, etc. Way too much noise for 4 feet of water but they had a great time so it was worth it.

clarence_chapman

I remember thinking the same thing about the noise. I saw them running around down there.
    I’ve got the house with the wrap around deck.
    I think i might give it a try tomorrow PM for a couple of hours.

clarence_chapman

OK I managed about 2 hours down on the lake.
    Got down there about noon. Action was pretty good. But by 2 the action was dead. Stayed till 3 but not much happening.
    This is what I have been seeing. Fishing is best between 11 and 2. Used a white teardrop with an orange dot on it. Also used a Green grub looking deal. With a red dot.
    Wax worms but if they get old they would not bite so give them a squeeze every once in a while.
    Good luck

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I know what you mean. I caught 2 of those sunnies around 2:00 and then nothing after and the first kid didn’t arrive until 3:00. I wish I had half the energy those two little weasels have. You should have stopped down, I had a little schnapps left that BrianK didn’t drink.

One thing concerned me though. I was alone when I drove on the ice but drilled some holes in front of the landing just to check depth even though I saw other vehicle tracks out there. All the holes I drilled had 14-15″ of ice so it seemed safe. When I left with the boys, I talked to a guy at the parking lot and said he was surprised to see me out there with the truck because there are a lot of springs along the shore of that lake. That bothered me all the way home because even if I don’t mind a little adventure, I would never knowingly put the boys in that situation. Is there an issue with driving on that lake? Thanks for any info.

clarence_chapman

The lake is about a foot deetper this year that is making the ice a litttle safer. I would stay at least 40 yards away from shore. The lake is spring fed so there is alot of movement when the water is down. And if the rough fish start to smother than they can open a whole under the snow.
    Park at the dead end of Lea street, look along the hill (facing the lake) for a set of steps. Go down that way. It is a little slippery so be careful. The hillside is my propery. Try that.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks for the invite. I may just do that but would let you know before hand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.