Pickled Fish??

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I was just wondering if anyone out there pickles fish??? If you do can you tell me how you do it and a good recipe. A friend of mine’s grandma used to always do it and she passed away. Now I have no idea what to do????? Thanks for any and all help.

herb
    6ft under

Fishing machine brought me a jar of pickled fish she made from some northerns we kept this fall. I’ll see if she’ll send me the recipe. She’s having trouble getting online here otherwise she’d put it on the site.
    I’m sure others have a favorite too. Hang tight.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Here is one my nephew uses on suckers and pike. They are great with crackers.
    You can scale up the recipe for your size batch.

Skin and fillet fish
    -Cut in 1 inch pieces and cut off all blood line from under skin.
    -Combine 1\4 cup pickleing salt to 1 quart of fish and mix well to coat all
    pieces. Cover with cider vinegar and let stand for 5-7 days.
    -Rinse fish.
    -Heat 3\4 cup suger and 1 cup white vinegar.
    -Pack fish into jars with lots of onions and two teaspoons pickleing spices
    to one quart.
    -Pour warm juice over the fish, cap and refrigerate.
    -four days later they are ready to eat, the longer they sit though the
    better they get.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Another similar one.

In a 1 gallon jar put 5 lbs of fish fillets cut into 3-4″ pieces.
    Dissolve 1/2 cup of pickling salt in 4 cups of water and pour over fish. Refridgerate for two days.
    After 2 days dump the fish and water out and rinse out the jar.
    Return the fish to the jar and cover with white vinegar. Refridgerate for 2 more days, stirring occasionally.
    After the 4th day (total) dump the vinegar. Heat 4 cups of vinegar and 3 cups of sugar until sugar dissolves. While this is cooling, cut fish into 3/4″ pieces and layer with onions in original jar (about 2 onions).
    When vinegar solution is cool add 1 tablespoon of pickling spices and one cup of cheap white wine. Pour over fish and refridgerate. Mighty tasty after 4-5 days.
    Can cut this recepe down for smaller batches.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The fish shop put of day MN was putting out some excellent picked fish this year. Very firm and tasty. My father in law, my self and my 3 year old daughter must of went threw ttwo pounds at christmas time. Wish I new how they made it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is my version of the recipe…..

1. Fillet and cut Northern into small chuncks.
    2. Pack into glass containers.
    3. Add strong ½ cup salt for each quart of fish. Cover with white vinegar and let stand four days in the fridge.
    4. Rinse and let stand in cold water for ½ hour.
    5. Pack fish loosly in jars, adding slices of onion between each layer.
    6. Cover with the following solution COLD.
    – 1 qt white vinegar
    – 1 pound (4 cups) of sugar
    – 5 oz. pickling spices.
    7. Mix ingredients well and pour over fish in jars. Seal and let stand for one week in the fridge.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Love the small Northerns pickled, your recipe sounds great. I will try it this winter on small Northerns, but I can’t use sugar thats way too much for me, have you heard of any one using a substitute like Splenda?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.