Dresbach Update

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Well,

There seems to be plenty of ice at Dresbach, with only a few places to worry about. People are fishing all the way across the river I met Watson out after work to jig a few rapalas, but not much was going We were working 6 different holes and didn’t get so much as a bite. There was 1 guy we saw catch 2 or 3 fish, but we don’t know what he was doing.. There’s a good 5″ of ice in most spots.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Open Water by the long wall…walk around!!!

herb
    6ft under

I just can’t get myself to cross the river on ice below a L&D.
    I’m just abig scaredycat

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Herb, and a live one too. I’m in the same boat as you. No sense being stupid. I prefer to play it safe and no fish is worth your life.
    Thanks, Bill

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It is a bit different It is like anything else, a guy has choices to make in life. While we choose to fish the river, we also choose not to get carried away (no pun intended ), and cross to the other side. The ice was good where we were. We take safety precautions just as you would on a lake or pond. As long as you spud ahead,are aware of your surroundings, and respect the ice conditions, a person is in no more danger than fishing a pond. I really like my walleye and that is where they are right now .

JohnEngler

Where those guys are standing in the picture is open water today! That’s how much the river can change in 1 day. I don’t think there is a fish worth risking your life for?

BE CAREFUL!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That picture was taken at 4:00 this afternoon. Where we were standing had 5″ of ice. Where they were standing, who knows, we were not brave enough to find out

herb
    6ft under

I don’t have a problem with fishing at the dam, but I’ll make sure I’m with someone, and I refuse to cross where the current runs.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Do you have to go on that side of the wall to catch walleye? Do you get any on the safer side of the wall toward shore? I’m with these other guys unless I was being guided by someone I had faith in I wouldn’t venture out there. And I’m not a scaredy cat

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I hear ya Herb. I am somewhat crazy, but not insane Mostly where we fish there is very little current and not too far away from the wall. There are plenty of fish in the area and it is the safest place on the dam.
    Gonefishing-You are welcome to join us anytime. We usually try and get out there in the late afternoon when we go. I will be hitting it on the weekend mornings at times as well. It is a nice change of pace from panfish.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I would be VERY careful heading out this week, if we get the Warm temps and Rain they are calling for, Dresbach could become unsafe very quick!!

Safety First!!!

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Thanks for the invite AmWatson and I think Slop Bass is right if this warm spell holds we may have to wait until colder weather. It is something I have never done but I’ve already bought a couple jigging rapalas so I’m planning on trying it sometime. Just really got into the walleye fishing last spring and am loving it. Used to only be a bass fisherman. But mostly lake fishing while in the service all over the country. I’ll be on so don’t forget me. And Thanks again. Suppose we could put 3 or 4 life preservers on Herb, tie a rope to a tree and drag him out there?

herb
    6ft under

With my luck the tree would be an ironwood and break and fall.
    Keep me in mind though will ya.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah there is a high of 45 toomorow for here. Crazy weather.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We are expecting THUNDERSTORMS What the heck is going on around here High of 47 and rain for tomorrow, should make it interesting fishing. They say fish like to bite right after a rain storm

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.