Aitkin Ice

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was able to spend a little time on sunday out on the ice again in Aitkin county. Fished Gun lake and Dam lake. Lots of ice on these lake and conditions for fishing are great. 14″ to 18″ of ice is what we found and with just a little snow on it getting to the fishing holes where a peace of cake. Finding fish when we got there was a different story.

We Started out at the community holes on the west side of gun near the landing and watched fish on the camera for a while there. There where some fish there but they where not real hungry. Saw a few pike chasing them around also. From there we jumped around the south shoreline a little but with out my FL8 working finding fish was a little tough. It was basicly the same way grampa did it. Drill a hole and drop a line down. Uck.

About 2pm we decided to head to Dam lake and get our fish shack hauled out. Pulled that out to the community hole out in front of the bar. A guy just doesnt want to get set up to far away from the watering hole. We got set up in 39′ there and again no fish. Talked to the house next to us and it sounded like there was some action in the area during mid day. One good thing about Dam lake is that the old Lakeview inn has been sold and is getting a major face lift. From some nice tounge and groove paneling to new bathrooms nd some moving around of the walls it looks like it is going to be a brand new place. We have spent many a afternoon in there watching football games or shooting pool and watching tip ups on the ice.

Reed Moormeier
    Chaska, MN

Mike, Headed up to Farm Island tomorrow through Sat. have you heard any lake in the area producing walleye’s? I’ll hit FI pretty hard on Wed but may move around on Thur or Fri if you’re out and about I’ll be driving a green polaris 330 magnum with a 3 person Fish Trap. Stop buy and say hello and have a cold beer on me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Not sure if I am going to be back up that way on friday again or not. Hoping to get the boat back out again this week and head for Red Wing.
    I have not heard any walleye reports yet. Dam lake used to have a good early season bite out in 40′ of water off the big piont. There was a small group of houses there on sunday. Fish lake in Mora is suposed to of had turned on giving up some decent crappies and a few eyes also.

Your best bet for walleyes might be pulling the boat back out and heading to Red Wing. The river is the best mid winter fishing hole around.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

BigFella,

If you are looking for some walleye water perhaps you should consider Ripple, Diamond, or Hanging Kettle. They all get a fare amount of pressure but there are some fish to be had. Also some real nice gils and crappies mixed in.
    PM me if you want some spots, I think everyone knows about them but it will get you started.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.