Any Frabill users?

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I was looking at the big Frabill unit a few days ago.Sorry can’t remember what the model is called but it is a 2 seat,flip over unit that is huge.You can stand up in it and your fishing area has alot of room also.
    Had anyone fished out of one of these bigger units? Are the seats tough and can/do they break?What about the tarp,is a tough and does not tear easy?
    I’m looking to get another larger type flip-over unit as my old Fish Trap III is getting well worn after 4 years now.
    The Frabill unit I’m looking at is $50 off for another week.
    Thanks for any comments please.
    Ryan Hale

blufloyd

it might be me or whereI am from (south) but i don’t see many repeat performances with frabill especially the hard pulling suitcase types.
    I’d go with clam or eskimo. frabill stuff doesn’t impress me for day in day out fishing. polar is at top of page but haven’t seen one. I own an eskimo.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

A friend of mine has one of the new Frabil 2 man flip overs. The fabric at first glance looks to be cheap, but I guarantee it is a very good fabric. The black really draws the heat I like the seats with the can holders , etc. There is also plenty of room in there to fish many holes and still have a ton of gear laying around . The only drawback, it is heavy, but with most bigger shacks there is always the added weight.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Ryan, I’ve been fishing in a Frabill Ranger XL Twin for the past 3 years and a Fish Trap Pro. The Frabill seems heavy but I usually drag a lot of gear along and I’m usually pulling it with either my ATV or snowmobile. The fabric (Arctic Armor) is a woven fabric and performs better in the high wind conditions that Lake of the Woods or Upper Red have presented. If your ever in Cabela’s at Owatonna compare the fabric by looking through the fabric towards fluorescent lighting. Density and design of the fabrics can be seen in a whole new light. Good luck with your decision. Being on the water is 95% of the fun, the remaining 5% is filled with the “nice to have” gadgetry……. Kurt

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

Rayan
    I bought the Frabill Ranger XL Twin with two seats, when the wife or anyone else goes along, and then I bought the Ranger Solo with one seat when I go by Myself. Got a very good deal when I bought both last year. Frabill Web Site web page I think they are both great products and to get them in My suburban I made a little ramp to slide up or down.If you buy the Ice Cruiser 300 it does not come with a seat that why its lighter

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Thanks guys.Here is what I don’t like about my old Trap III.There is not very much room once you flip the cover over.The Frabill has a ton of room out front.The fabric on the my Trap is the old stuff and I think it sucks.It is not very dark on the inside and will tear easily.
    The weight issue is not that big of deal as I’ve had the Trap III(Voyager now)for 4 years now.Yes it’s heavy but 2 people can move it around o.k.
    I’ve never been fishing inside a Frabill before so thanks so much for all the feedback.
    Might just pick it up this week.
    Ryan Hale

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I think you will be very happy with it Of course for the same money you could have an Otter Mag. Lodge

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Ryan, I have the Frabill Ranger Solo and I am very pleased with it. You will be happy with your purchase.

Chad

beno
    St. Paul

Ryan,
    There a number of good shacks out there. I have fished out of a Ranger XLT for three years. Mine has the old bench seat. The fabric has been great so far and I really like the extra room to move around. I have been out in some pretty good blows with out a problem as well. I don’t think you would be disappointed.
    Good Luck.

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I purchased a Frabill Ranger Tri-plex last year and love it! This is the 3 man version and has a ton of room, especially with only two seats in it. You can easily stand up in them. The quality of the Rangers are excellent. The seats are comfortable, the rod holder and can/bait holders are handy, and the black fabric really soaks up the heat. It is very dark inside the shelter even in bright sunlight.

kapnjim

I have the Ranger XLT twin with the bench seat also. I have not had a chance to use it much but when I did I loved it. I bought this tent after going to an ice fishing show two years ago and looked at every other tent on the market at that time. The Frabill was the best tent in my opinion. I could fish two adults and a child in it if I had to…

I will say however the old bench seat with the small back rest is a poor design (they have since changed that). Yesterday I took my bench seat off and bolted a piece of plywood in its place. The reason I didn’t like it is the back rest is too short to really work as a back rest and when you flipped the seat over, the seat did not fit under my sliding hard cover on the pick up.

27olemil
    Iowa

Hi Ryan,

As Cole gets bigger, you should be able to manage the larger Frabil Ranger; that’s the reason I haven’t updated my Hideout, the weight. The Artic Armor, per the other post is great. The sled also holds alot of out “stuff”. Blain’s Farm & Fleet had Frabils on sale for $ 169 this week, but they did not have the Artic Armor , plus not much room. Enjoy the shopping. Rick

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome to the site Rick. Glad to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want. Thanks, Bill

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hola! Sort of a new guy here. Decided to stop lurking.
    I also have a Frabill Ranger Solo and like it very much. I think you’ll be happy with Frabill.

dd

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want. Thanks, Bill

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Thanks for the welcome Bill. I won’t be shy.

dd

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.