Brushy Creek

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Fished Brushy Creek today and brought home 29 bluegills and 4 crappies. The ice in the fingers is 4 to 5 inches and out torwards the main lake was 2.5 inches. I fished in 23 feet of water and caught a lot of fish. Had to sort through alot of small fish to get the keepers.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Fished Brushy this mourning only managed to put a couple in the bucket.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Nice fish panfish. I fished Brushy again today and it was a tuff bite. Ended up with 5 Crappies and about a dozen Bluegills. There are some realy nice fish in there if you can get on em.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Nice work fellas. Went to Brushy for the first time Sunday the 26th. Caught a couple cousins of the ones you show there. We were from 21 – 24 ft. Lots of gills, a couple crappie, couple perch, few bucket mouths, couple eater walleye and one gordo Walleye that went 5lbs. Waldo’s and some of the crappie and perch came on minnows the rest on waxies.

Great lake, but the thing I was confused about was the only consistent grouping of fish was bluegill. All other species seemed to roam around a lot. Normally on most lakes if you catch one crappie you catch 10 – 15, same with perch and Walleye. Here you would just get 1 and have to move around or wait forever for another. I am guessing that due to all the cover there is nothing unique or significant to concentrate the fish. Not like fishing a lake with a few brush or rock piles to target and concentrate the fish. On this lake there is structure EVERYWHERE. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

tealtamer

crappies seem to be hard to find but when you get one they are usually decent ,it is a fun lake and the closest one to me where a guy knows he at least has a chance to catch some keepers

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Sounds like you did pretty good on the some thing besides gills fishing. I havn’t figured out a good pattern on walleyes or cappies on this lake. Your right the gills seem to be everywhere but the crappies and walleyes are just a few here and a few there. In the spring at Brushy I look for trees that have fallen down and do pretty well on the crappies. I don’t know if that makes a diferance or not but it is something diferant that the other thousands of standing trees. Haven’t realy talked to anybody down there that has realy caught a lot of crappies, but it sounds like there is a night bite from about 5pm-9pm for crappies and walleyes.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Cool thanks SA. We were there for 15 hours for the morning and evening bite so we were bound to hit some Crappie and Walleye.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.