fish trap

• walleyefarm1

I like the fish traps for there conveince and are easy to set up. I like the looks of the YUKON, but also like the looks of the big shappell hut. Which is not easiest to set up. I have a a couple of kids that go a few older guys and a wife, so i am leaning towards the shapell because of warmth, where the fish trap can be cold on the feet and if it is windy the wind blows in. But the shappell is hard to hold in place with the wind. Hope that all makes sense. What are everyones thoughts. THANKs

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You are exactly right on the holding in the wind problem. From my experience, I stay away from the suitcase style shacks. There are things you can do to hold them down, but are kind of a pain. My vote goes with the flip over type. Even with the plastic floor between you and the ice, your feet can and will still get cold. The plastic does not insulate at all . With the flip over and a good heater, you should be able to keep warm feet. We fished the other day in below 0 temps and were warm with a Mr.Heater/Cooker set on low. The advantage of the suitcase shacks are room. But the Otters, bigger Eskimo’s, and Fish Trap’s have models for 3+ people. After taking my share of ice rides, I will never have another suitcase shack . On a side note, to keep feet warm buy bigger boots, keep them laced loose, and wear wool socks or thinner socks . Just my personal opinions

iceman
    Staples/Brainerd,Mn

i’v got a clam guide and it’s not to bad at -15 to-20 but after that it’s darn old i can move around as much or as little as i want..
    http://www.clamcorp.com

hope this helps..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Walleyefarm1,

I just bought a Polar…3 man…(bigger two man) I haven’t had it on the ice….but it’s looking good in the driveway!

You’re going to get many opinions on houses…but when you get to the 2-3 man size they are all good (in one way or another)..
    The key is to figure out what slight differance means the most to you.
    Some like bench seat…I prefer buckets…ect.

Just make sure you pull them down and put’em back up a couple times and try every feature…before you buy…

Check out what accessories are avalable too. If you’re pulling it with an atv or sled…a cover and tow bar are important.

You really should check out the otters too…

And I agree whole hartedly with AM…pullover is the way to (not) go (sailing).

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have a Shappel either the 2000 or 3000 model. Don’t know which for sure as my son Nate has it right now. Its very nice and has never been blown around on us but we have never been in real windy conditions. I bought a Fish Trap last year, the one man scout model, as I wanted something real light, only 27 lbs. so I could get it in my car and out easily. I checked out the Otters and they were heavier and more expensive but if it would of been the same weight I would of gone with the Otter because of the quality of it. I HAD to go with the lighter one due to back and neck problems and a 10 lb. lifting restriction. The Otter does look like top quality. Where I will be ice fishing alot the snow will be piled up along the edge of the large parking lot so I figure I’ll put the sled in the back of my hatch back car and just back it up to the edge of the parking lot where the snow pile is and just slide it out the back of the car and slide it back into the car when I’m done. You learn to do things differently so you can still fish. Just like in fishing open water I stay out of rough water by fishing in the Mississipio River part instead of Lake Pepen. If I want to fish the lake I fish along the rip rap shorelines and not in the middle. Where theres a will theres a way my Dad use to say. Getting back to ice fishing the three brands mentioned are all good ice houses. You will need to decide which one fits your needs the most. Good luck and let us know which one you choose and why so we all can learn more about them as we all learn from everyones sharing.
    Thanks, Bill

scottsteil
    Central MN

The suitcase type fish houses are alright if you only drive to your spot and have a vehicle to hook them too. We so A LOT of them blow across Mille Lacs. I think we had 3 last year for sure and I know Adam found another one besides those. The are NOT GOOD in the wind.

I would look for a nice flip over style house. Of course I recommend the Polar houses. Check out the Nordice 2 man if you are looking for something that is portable, yet can be towed and is good in the wind. It is light enought to be handled by one person but can do whatever you will need.

The house BrianK has is the deluxe 3 man. It is the roomiest 2 man house on the market if you are looking to go big!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.