Northfield/Fairbault Cannon River Ice

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

My oldest grandaughter and I went to Cabelas from Northfield as I wanted to get a pair of guide-ons for my jon boat trailer and the Cannon River was froze over in Northfield and also frozen where you go over it at Fairbault. But coming back from Cabelas there was an open area from the bridge in the middle about 20 ft. wide and 40 feet long which reminded me that ice can be unsure and especially where there is any current or springs. So please play it safe as no ice is guarenteed good ice. With the cold temps we will see for the next few days there should be some good ice being made. What really hurts good ice being made is when you get a couple inches of ice and then get some snow. The snow acts as a insulation that keeps the ice warm which makes it harder for the ice to become thicker. So hopefully we won’t get any snow and with the colder temps we will get some good solid ice. Well I got my guide-ons, took forever as they were packed with people and lines at every cash register, which makes you appreciate shopping at HOF in Rochester where theres great fishin goodies and always fishin talkin and no hassle buying what you need.
    Thanks, Bill

ps. We had our Christmas gathering today at one of my daughters house and I got a gift certificate from each of them for HOF. Smart girls if you ask me!

shaneedwards
    MN USA

BILL SUNDAY I WENT OUT ONTO ROHBERDS LAKE. MOSTLY 5″AROUND THE LAKE DID FIND 4.5″ ON SOUTH SHORE CAUGHT ONE 17″ WALLEYE AND SOME SMALL CRAPPIES IT WAS ALOT OF FUN I DID REALIZE HOW EVER I FORGOT SOME EQUIPMENT BUT MANAGED WITH OUT. BY THE WAY YES YOU HAVE WISE, SMART GIRLS.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Yes they know me all too well. Thanks for the report on Roberds lake. What did you catch them on? Were you fishing the deep hole? Thanks, Bill

shaneedwards
    MN USA

I WAS USEING A WHITE TEAR DROP WITH A BLUE TIP SIZE 6 HOOK ON A CRAPPIE MINNIOW FIRST TIME ON THE LAKE BUT THE DEPTH WAS 27 FEET. IS THAT THE DEEPEST HOLE? HAPPENED ACROSSED THAT DEPTH DON’T HAVE FLASHER. COME ON CHRISTMAS

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

South of the grass island there is a big hole that is appro. 38 ft. deep. That is the deepest area of the lake. The rest is much shallower. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.