IDA’s Pool 10 Ice fishing Get Together !!!

• jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Will do Herb, just trying to get the feel for this GTG. Don’t want to haul to much stuff if I don’t have to.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Jeff,

As Dave and Herb mentioned, the panfishing was pretty good for most of the day but better in the am as expected. Fishing in a couple feet of water and only fishing inches below the ice for some quality sized fish was fun in itself. I had the pleasure of using one of those “Pulsator” rods that Mr. Koonce has…that was sure fun. At the end of the day, I easily talked my self into buying one of those rods…

I enjoed my self immensely down there last year…fishing was secondary to the commoradary of all of us anglers!
    Looking forward to seeing you down there…..

Note to self….”Leave skates at home!”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Jeff

Some very nice bass were caught on tip-ups last year and there is always the possibility of a nice pike too. Tip-ups would be worth the time and effort to bring them along.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Sounds good, see you all Friday night at the Pub.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Looking forward to it Jeff !!

It will be good to meet ya !!

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

I went from lurking for a year to becoming a member today , and I just booked a room for the GTG. I am in western Iowa , but do fish the Mis in the summer . Ive always wanted to ice fish it. It looks like a great time , will probably have a daughter or 2 tagging along……..Cant wait.——Oh Yea —- GREAT SITE ! yay

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Welcome Aboard troutsrus Glad you decided to sign up…We’ll see you in a few weeks

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Glad to see ya online locked in and loaded…AndI’ll see ya the end of the month…

I’ll be on the ice Wed and Thurs and this should tell me where we will be setting up at !!

walleyefarm1

Whats the chances of there being a room open somewheere the week before, won’t know if i am making it until then.

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

Thanks……..Lookin forward to it.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Whats the chances of there being a room open somewheere the week before, won’t know if i am making it until then.

I think there is a good chance of there being a room available…If not at this motel there are several others,,

walleyefarm1

if i can make it i will probably come up early on friday and fish both.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Are we wearing nametags this year?

krisko
    Durand, WI

I hope Screen names cause I wouldn’t have a clue if you put your regular name tag on….Except for you Slop and I’d still call ya Slop!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’m not going to hang any lutefisk around my neck!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Putz, you should be proud of me…I’m not going to comment on that!

I’d volunteer to sit in my truck and hand out name tags..but I doubt I’ll get there before 10 ish…on Saturday…

FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

Hey Dave

I’ll even trade in one of my long rods and give it a try this year,unless the eyes are jumping out of the hole at the dam.See ya on the HARD WATER!!!!!!!

herb
    6ft under

Ya better come down Len. The dam will always be there.

FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

I’ll be there this year.If anyone needs the larger shiners
    we have them at the bar.Only $5.00 a dozen.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Hey Len, I thought this was only a pan fish get together. Does your offer mean there are bigger fish available or that we gut the shiners and eat them like smelt?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Gene, Dave & James told me there’s good bass and pike around where we will be fishing. I’m bring a couple tip-ups so when I’m not pan fishing and I’m talking to all the IDA members I’ll have some tip-ups out, you never know I could get lucky like yesterday .

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

The Iowa regs for Mississippi River border waters allow for two rods and three tip-ups (simultaneously). No need to wait until BS time to throw them out.

herb
    6ft under

If you’re on the WI. side of the channel don’t you have to go by their regulations? I always thought Iowa laws read that you had to go by the more restrictive regulations when fishing border waters. I’ll see what I can find out on this.

kapnjim

Len, hurry up and get that bar opened back up, I am turning to skin and bones without your good burgers!!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

If you’re on the WI. side of the channel don’t you have to go by their regulations? I always thought Iowa laws read that you had to go by the more restrictive regulations when fishing border waters. I’ll see what I can find out on this.

I believe you use the regulations of the state you reside in, or if a non-resident of either, what ever state you purchased your license in. So even if I had a IA license, I would have to abide by the WI regs.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I have a hard time believing that you’d have to abide by the more restrictive regs, since the Miss is called out separately altogether, but some investigation has me more confused than ever:

Link (boundary water regs)

Quote:

Iowa/Wisconsin

Licensed Iowa (resident or nonresident) anglers can fish in the waters of the Mississippi River lying between the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad tracks on the Iowa side of the river, and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad tracks lying on the Wisconsin side of the river, including all sloughs and backwaters connected with the main channel of the Mississippi River.

This reciprocity applies only to hook-and-line fishing, spearing, and the taking of minnows and crayfish for such fishing.

Where there are differences in elements of the boundary waters regulations, you must comply with the regulations of the state whose territorial waters you are fishing in.

[emphasis Gianni’s]

but then

Link (tackle regs)

Quote:

Can You use a Tip-Up Fishing Device for ice fishing?

A “tip-up fishing device” means an ice fishing mechanism, with an attached flag or signal to indicate fishing action, used to hold a fishing rod or pole with line and hook.

You can use one or two lines with two hooks while tip-up fishing on all inland waters and the Big Sioux River.

You may fish a combination of one tip-up fishing device and one additional line, or, two tip-up fishing devices and no additional lines.

When fishing the Mississippi River or Missouri River and connected backwater the following regulations apply:
    You cannot use more than three tip-up fishing devices.
    You can use two or three hooks on the same line, but the total number of hooks used by each person cannot exceed three.

Each tip-up fishing device used in fishing must have a tag attached, plainly labeled with the owner’s name and address.
    You must be 300 feet or more from a dam or spillway to use a tip-up fishing device.
    Tip-up fishing devices can not be used in a part of the river which is closed or posted against their use.
    Three tip-up fishing devices may be used in addition to two lines with no more than two hooks per line.

[emphasis Gianni’s]

So, as usual, the regulations are written in such a way as to confuse the most people. Dave, what’s Wisconsin’s law?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

My head is spinning after reading that WI law states you may use up to 3 lines per angler i.e 2 tipups/1 pole, 3 poles, or 3 tipups, or 2 poles/1 tipup Any combination of 3 total lines

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

New job guys, will be reporting from Kenosha, WI from now on. I am sneaking up to Minocqua to fish a tourney on Dam Lake this weekend, so next weekend is out.

Will be making it over to the Rock, Lake Geneva for walleyes and reporting on Lake Michigan trout and salmon. Wished I could join all of you, but it will have to be later in the year on soft water.

AM is right on with the WI regs and as always having lived in IA, God love those regulations Gianni!!! You can only have that kind of fun in IA.

EC: I am still interested in putting together a golf outing in Trempeauleau, let me know if anyone is interested after this GTG!!! I am sure BrianK and Muskygirl will be there!!!

Have fun and be safe, especially DZ!!!

Mark

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey all…We just got dumped on with 12″ of snow or better…If you have some means of transportation please feel free to bring it along…I know it is normally a 15 minute leisure walk out to Little Missouri but with all the snow it will take a bit more to get on out there…Any will greatly be appreciated…

I’ll have an exact map and location as to where we will be fishing up on Thursday…

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.