Mille Lacs

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I just got of the phone with the people at Dickies Portside. They have 10″ of ice but, there road goes out about 1 mile to a ridge. Only open for walking or ATV. Perch and northerns are being cought.

So, if anyone sees a green Polaris Sportsman and a blue Trap on Saturday stop and say hello. I will be perch hunting with my daughter.

I am pumped!

See you up there.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I WILL BE UP THERE ALSO, LET HOPE THE FISH ARE HUNGRY. IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A GOOD FRONT THAT WILL BE PUSHING THROUGH TOMORROW, HOPE THE FISH ARE ACTIVE PRIOR. DO TO SOME f$&K HEAD THAT TOOK THE 4-WHEELER AND TRAILER RIGHT OUT OF THE YARD, I UNFORTUNATLY BE WALKING. GOOD LUCK

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Muskies, were you able to get up there on Saturday?

In 2 hours we had 10 keeper perch after some sorting. The perch were very active, were willing to hit a small Swedish Pimple with a minnow head and my daughter worked a minnow and bobber in 22′ of water. There was a solid 8″ of ice.

Also, kind of a treat…We ran into Dave Genz on the ice. He was very friendly. Although you could tell he was frusterated with the wind.

bicswalleye
    Waseca

fish any time, how far out did you find the 8 inches of ice? and were the perch a morning and evening bite or during the day. I am planning on heading up on Wednesday and coming back Friday to do the Xmas thing. If anyone has any ice condition info on the west side I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Bic

scottsteil
    Central MN

Adam was out yesterday afternoon checking things out. He had 7 inches out a mile but there were areas of 2 inch ice also. Proceed with caution. He had a 25 & 26 incher when I talked to him at 3. Looks like it will be another great winter on the ice!!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Bic, I did not have to go out very far to find the jumbo perch. I was out from Dickies(sp?) almost to the tip of Malone island. The perch were biting all day.

Good luck.

fetzeriiif
    Wheeler, WI

I am heading up the 28-30 to give it I try and have never been on Mille Lacs before? We are staying in one of Twin Pines’ shacks. Does anyone know how these shacks are or have any tips?

Bob Bowman
    MN

FISH ANY TIME… YES I DID MAKE IT OUT ON SATURDAY, WE WERE ON THE LAKE AT 4.30AM AND FISHED UNTIL ABOUT 10.45AM. LOTS OF PERCH BUT NOTHING FOR SIZE. WE LEFT AND CAME BACK DOWN BY CAMBRIDGE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. ENDED AT DARK WITH 12 GILLS 9IN BEING THE LARGEST AND 15 CRAPPIES 10.5 BEING THE BIGGEST CRAPPIE. WE WERE EXPECTING A GOOD EVENING BITE TO SHOW IT SELF AND IT NEVER DID. WE HAD ABOUT 10 MINUTES OF VERY FAST ACTION AND THAT WAS ALL SHE WROTE. I HAVE TO SAY THE WIND IS NOT MY FRIEND

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

The resorts on the eastside of Mille Lacs at gearing up to go into high gear this Sunday! They all want Christmas to pass and then go………Hunters Point worked most of Thursday on roads while pulling out a few houses. Mac’s has also got a number of houses. Dickies Portside in the Isle Bay has also a good number of fish houses on the ice.
    With this sub zero cold spell passing this weekend….we can look for a busy week on Mille Lacs. I have not been out of the house much with this resent cold. Come Sunday, the Otter will be in use!!!!!!! look out walleye’s here I come!!!

Bob Carlson

Just looked north and noticed that Agate Bay Resort is now pulling their rentals out on the ice! I guess the resorts on the eastside will be all ready for business after Christmas day………….

jldii

Bob,

Has the pressure ridge developed off Hawkbill yet?

Bob Carlson

I have not heard of any problems there yet, but with the temperature change coming early this next week………it might start pushing up!

Bob Carlson

Got out Yesterday for a few hours. I measured 15-16 inches of ice in the area I was fishing. I fished the Flamingo reef on the eastside of Mille Lacs. I only managed one small walleye for my efforts. It will be a nice week to get out and fish some of these reefs prior to all the vehicle traffic once it starts.

Bob Carlson

The resorts on the eastside of Mille Lacs have started to pull houses out on to the lake! Both Hunters Point and Agate Bay now has their rental houses out and are ready for business!!!!!!!!

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

Ya I got my house out on sunday there was ONLY three crack from fishermens wharf to shaws but they were all bridged

fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

I stopped into The Red Door on the north end. They started pulling houses out in front on monday. Theres 14″ of ice. Nothing out to the flats yet.

jldii

Bob,

How much snow is on the ice? I think I might pull my big house out this weekend, but am concerned about banking it.

Thanks,

Bob Carlson

Very little…..some snow might be caught up in some of the ice piles? If your in at Mac’s say hi to my friend Todd Kloss, he is working on the ice for Brad now and the boy’s…….Good luck fishing, I have heard some good reports of fish being caught out in the West gravel over Christmas…….only good reports that I have heard.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey bobber,

are there any houses out on the flamingo reef yet?? if so about how many, and see if you can find out if the eyes are bitting out there yet. the boss was out there on xmas weekend and didn’t get anything other than a small perch.

thanks

shane

Bob Carlson

I’ve been out on Flamingo acouple of times. They have been pulling houses out there the past 3-4 days.

jldii

I heard some rumors that the bite is doing good up on the north half of the lake.

nicol
    Hampton MN

On the east side? I may be looking to go that way this week.

jldii

Here is a report that was posted on another site.

Hey Guys,

The walleye and perch bite on Mille Lacs has really heated up. Our guided fishing trips have been turning impressive numbers of fish, including keepers. We had a guide trip group that hit the century mark in one day. That’s right they caught 100 walleyes in one day. They kept 24 eaters. At this point the season is surpassing most people’s expectations.

If you want to get in on the HOT bite give us a call to book a winter guide trip or stay in one of our deluxe fish houses.

Brad Johnson
    McQuoids Inn and Event Center

Bob Carlson

Thanks for the report Jack,
    I just heard something along those same lines also………last night a saw a number of vehicles coming off the flats! lots of car lights……I need to keep looking for active fish, so far my first ice spots have been dead.

fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

I was wondering if anyone has been hearing any reports from the north end around the Red Door area. I was up there last Wed. with nothing to show for it.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I fished the north end near the Red Door this weekend. We didn’t do well there.
    The flats were putting out good numbers of small walleyes.

Lenny Jamison

Bob Carlson

Hunters Point Resort on the eastside of Mille Lacs has a marked road out to the Boot flat. The ice condition is in good shape with a couple of cracks close to shore that are bridged…..pretty much same place they are every year. The lake has around 2-3 inches of new snow. The ice breaks are the only areas to look out for. Cross only on the marked roads. I have seen a few brave souls hung up on them in the last few days!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.