Cooking on the ice

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I’m planning a small get together this winter for my brothers and close buds for some fishing and good times on the ice. I’d like to whip-up a little something to cook on that’ll warm us and fill us up.
    Has anyone put together a small meal on the ice that was a hit? Chili? Soup? Ah hah, fried fish maybe!!??
    Any food suggestions? Cooking provision suggestions? I’ve used a Weber on the ice before but it was a hastle.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I think polish saugages in a bun served with heated green peppers and onions go over real big!!!!the polish can be cooked on a small grill and the peppers and onions can be cooked in alumafoil………

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

That’s the perfect meal, Bob. As long as the sausage has venison in it and the onions/peppers have butter added. Washed down with a cold brew – heaven. I bring my little grill and Winston does the cooking.

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Dang it Bobber that sounds good!! I’m going to make note of that one.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

A nice side dish is to slice up some potatoes put them in a piece of tinfoil. Add about 1 tbsp of butter, and some crushed garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Close up the foil and wrap them in another piece of foil. You can cook these right on the grill. If you want to get fancy, you can make them in individual packets so everyone gets their own, but that seems like more work than any self respecting ice fisherman would want to do. Of course you do it ahead of time. To make sure it doesn’t take too long on the grill, you can cook the potatoes before you slice them up.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Pre-cook the potatos! Why didn’t I think of that?

Thanks, Skhartke

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Pre-cook the potatos! Why didn’t I think of that?

Thanks, Skhartke

You should thank my wife. She taught me that trick!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Like Homer Simpson would say ” MMM….. Polish…

Check the regs for cooking fish on the ice… If you go that route.

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

venison tenderloin sandwiches cooked on a grill.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

My personal favorite is either fresh tenderloin or venison steak. Last year a buddy and me went thru a whole deer in less then a month eating out in the shack. I think it had alot to do with what we were drinking.

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

I have to go with some Venision as well. Nothing beats a good tenderloin or backstrap on the grill. Add in some Flags going up from time to time and you are all set.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.