Changing auger bit sizes

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I recently bought a used 2 year old, 49cc, 10″ StikeMaster for cheap. Runs great! I mainly fish panfish and a 10″ hole is overkill, especially in a Clam Yukon (2 holes).
    My question is can I swap the 10 inch bit for a 7″ or 8″ without allot of problems? Would my 7″ bit from my hand auger take the punishment if I were to machine an adapter? (Just a thought, it’s in the corner just getting rusty)

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Slab hunter

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I’d like to know as well. I have a 10″ Strikemaster that I would like to have an 8″ hole. I don’t want to have to buy a new auger for $160 .

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Sorry guy’s I for one don’t like anyone using a 10″ auger…..I have put my foot down more than one hole in my life time. They can be very dangerous with some snow covering them. So it’s great that you are going smaller!

I would try selling the 10″ auger in the IDA classified section.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

All of the power heads are the same as far as Strikemaster today for 8-9-10 inch augers. All have the same transmissions, ft./lbs, RPM and gear ratios. As far as specifications two years ago… But I would assume that changing bits is not an issue. Now you just need to construct an adapter that will stand up to the torque output of your auger (although you wont need 65 to cut through ice with a 7″ bit) Fortunately, the output of todays power heads is 65ft/lbs and it shouldn’t be too difficult to make one that can withstand that. If your not sure put a torque wrench on it and make sure it is rated for a bit more torque. But lets see what others think, I’m not an engineer….

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Slab, you can just buy the auger and bolt it to the power head you have now. There is a place called D-Rock that had rebuilt Strikemaster bits for like $35 w/new blades in 7 and 8″ sizes, I looked at them end of last ice, I bet they still have them, there was about 25 of them give them a call they are in New Brighton

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have a 7″ strike master lazor and i want a 10″ maybe work out somthing? pm me if your interested..

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks for the thoughts and info guys.
    BUB, I’ll send you a PM shortly.

BTW, when are we going to get ice?? It’s driving me nuts!!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I had an 8″ power auger, I made an adapter for my 6″ lazer hand auger bit. Other than cutting 4x faster, I have not noticed any detrimental effects of using the smaller blade.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.