Why do you choose the color of lure that you do?

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

While sitting here waiting for good hard ice, I’m looking through and cleaning out my ice tackle box and trying to decide which color of teardrops/jigs/ etc.. I need to re-supply myself with. Then it comes to me…why do I pick a certian color over another to try fishing with 1st? What makes me more prone to use chartreuse (my 1st choice…)over another.
    I remember years ago at an ice fishing seminar where the speaker, (I think Terry Tuma, ((pretty sure)) stated that you should try using any color on the color wheel 1st, then if no luck, try the opposite/contrasting color on the wheel next. Then opposite again, and so on.
    Is anyone familiar with or has anyone heard of this color wheel for fishing? (my wife’s an artist and she hasn’t heard of a color wheel for fishing)
    I’m trying to get my selection of lures down to cover all the colors, let alone sizes! But I want to have my bases covered.
    What do the rest of you carry? Do you have a few basic colors in the box or do you carry the 94 pc. Crayola? What are your favorite, “go-to” choices when starting out the season?
    Any favorites? I fish sunfish/perch/walleye.

Any opinions?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Actually fish can see colors depending on light penetration/water clarity. But they don’t see them in the same hues as humans do.

Roland Martin(I think)marketed a Color Selector(CS) instrument years back that was based on the principal of the light spectrum(color wheel).

You marked fish on your flasher(no LCRs yet) then dropped the CS probe to that depth. It would tell you what color was most visible(relective) of the amount of light penetration at that depth and clarity. It worked very well…I still have one.

As far as the river goes, Murky water…bright colors;yellow,chartreuse,glo orange, hot pink.

Clear waters; neutral colors, blue,purples,shad, silver, craw etc… Works for me.

Heres a link to the guy that invented it and researched the colors fish see do fish see colors

click on the link then click on “reviews,press and tips”, its the bottom article.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Slab,I try to match color with forage base in the body of water your fishing.If your walleye and perch feed on perch then I use alot of perch pattern lures.Also I take a look at water clearity.If the water is very clear then I don’t use such bright colors.
    You use that trusty chartreuse more because of your comfort level.You also catch more fish on that color because you use it alot more!
    Ryan Hale

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

ive always loved usein orange i think it works all around i have more orange but i do have back ups u know just in case but i guess orange is my go to lure!

herb
    6ft under

My jig box weighs as much as my power auger I think. I have about 3 or 4 favorite colors with about a dozen of each of them. Then there are the ones that you just had to have cause someone else was catching fish on them. Got to have at least 10 of those also. Then, everytime I meet up with Blue Fleck, Ecnook, or Angler’s Nook I somehow have the need to shop for more of what they have. Why do have to have so many? Well heck, I might lose one don’t ya know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.