Recomended safe ice chart…….

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

MN DNR chart:

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Bud. I pmed this link over to Mike/HOF as he loves to start ice fishing in the shallow backwaters when its 2” thick with a spud bar. NOT safe in my opinion. Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mike’s post last year has always stuck with me…

It went something like this… Almost two inches of ice and the gills were bitting. When I found out he was in two feet of water…I felt a little better. But two feet of water and 6 feet of loon crap doesn’t spell a good time for me…
    I just hope newbies to the sport or folks that are unframilar with ice…don’t read this posts and try it by themselves. I’m sure Mike would be the first to caution folk to fish with a buddy on ice and make sure you know what your doing when walking on first ice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I am one of those guys who says when the ice is thick enough to support my green Geo car then I’ll walk on it. Always been afraid of smaller thicknesses of ice. Call me chicken, , but I’ve never fallen through and am still alive. I don’t drive on ice either. Its ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. Thanks, Bill

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m lazy so driving on the ice is a very attractive alternative to walking. But unless there is a beaten path by other vehicles and I see the same size vehicle on the ice I won’t go My life is a bit more important to the ones that love me and myself that the risk is too great! I really wish I had a wheeler or a sled but that’s out of the question for my budget right now.
    I REALLY hope everyone plays it safe this winter and is careful.
    Chris
    p.s. I’ll be the first to go through

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Brian, I remember fall fishing on lake Jennie with a friend of yours (Ron K.) and catching walleyes off the point to the right of the public access. When the lake had ice around the edges we had the brilliant idea of crawling out to that spot on the ice and fishing the open water with cane poles. It worked as we caught fish but everytime we lifted the cane pole the ice would dip and water would come over it and run into our clothes from the neck down as we laid there. Good fishing but not recommended for anyone as that was 30 years and 50 pounds ago.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m glad your around to remember that!

Knowing you and RK, I’m betting it wasn’t your idea and it took sometype of convincing (peppermint I’m betting) to get you out there.

He always amazed me at the ideas ect he would come up with…If a person lived through it..you could say he was a genious.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Putz

Major Kahuna’s! Big brass ones.

UG

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.