Frabill Lite-Bite

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

When I ask people about this tip-up noone seems to have heard of it. It is/was a very portable system that was basically confined to a tube. The spool was held in place by magnets and when a fish took the bait the ‘flag’ would come up which meant that it wouldn’t freeze up. The tip of the flag had a built-in red LED that would only come on when the flag was up. The tip-up stood on a built in tripod which folded down and made it EXTREMELY compact. The only thing I didn’t like about the system was that it was 98% plastic and would break occasionally if you weren’t careful. Unfortunately I can’t find these anywhere anymore and a salesman at Cabelas showed me Frabill’s catalog in which the tip-up was absent. I only have one of these in my arsenal and would like to have a couple more for back-up or for a ‘quick lure change’. Has anyone seen/used these or know where I can find them? I don’t know why Frabill stopped making them
    Thanks, Chris

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Slop I think I lov….errr your one heck of a guy!
    At least it doesn’t look like they no longer make them and all I have to do is find a retailer.
    Thanks!, Chris

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Wow your fast…
    Thanks again, Chris

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I was just looking at the same tipups today at a bait shop on Lake Onalaska. He has been carrying these for a few years. I have never seen anybody use them. I didn’t see the price on them though.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

If I remember correctly, they are cheap! I think I bought them from Fleet Farm for under $15 last year but they don’t have them this year…yet. One trick I found to using them was to bring a paper plate with me and cut it half-way to the center. I then slid the plate onto the tip-up to cover the hole and the hole didn’t freeze up at all. The plate was less cumbersome than carpet and probably resembled ice a bit better too.
    Chris

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Your comment about them being 98% plastic and breakable is 100% correct. I thought they were great except for the fact that they were made entirely of plastic. I had one down a hole with a little bit of ice forming on the surface. I pulled the tip up out of the water and the spool snapped off. I snagged the spool, but there is no way to attach it again. I would pay double the price if they made these out of metal.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I bought a couple once and they both broke when they got iced up. I would pass on them.

Lenny Jamison

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.