Mille Lacs

• puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

The big lake is still open. Most of cove bay is skimmed over with a few open spots where the milfoil was thick this year. i walked out about 50yds in front of my house on tuesday and there was 4″ of solid ice. there was no ice in any of the bays all along the west side all the way to garrison. i haven’t been up the east side so i don’t know whats going on over there.

littlebuddy
    Iowa City

Thanks for the update. I always like to hear any news about the big pond. Many fond memories, and hopefully lots in the future.
    Happy Holidays to all.

puddlepounder

i was out this afternoon. i went out in front of my house about 300yds, about 7ft of water. there was 7in of ice, i did have my atv out too. only had one flag, it was a 41in northern. i will try to post a picture later….tom f

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey puddlepounder, bet ya got whites caps around the point?

puddlepounder

ya, kinda freaky when you think about it. the thumb is healing up pretty good. try pulling a nothern, hand over hand without your left thumb!!!

Bob Carlson

Oh, I forgot to ask about the thumb !!!!!! Your nurse say’s Hi…

puddlepounder

folks are starting to venture out on cove bay this morning. there are 4 portables out in front of the public access. let the ice fishing begin!!!!!! for gods sake just be careful out there, ice is never safe….tom f

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Did the big blow yesterday knock the ice out in the bays, I was in the area Saturday, north end was open and the west side only had ice about a half mile out. Like to get up for the warm-up this week if there is ice on Isle or Cove still.

Bob Carlson

I took a drive into Isle this morning…….the ice is much smoother just south of Lakeside it appears! Dickies Portside was pulling out two small houses with ATV’s as I drove by!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Ooh Hoo! I’m there on Sat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Where are you planning on fishing on saturday. We are thinking about heading up also.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I have no idea where I am going to fish yet but am willing to meet at Hunters Point for breakfast about 9:00 to plan strategy. Not the good timing to hit the best bite but it is somwhere to start. Anyone interested to join?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’ll keep that in mind Putz. Still in the planning mode on my end also. It looks like we will be on foot so where ever we end up it will need to be in walking distance. You would think if we found a spot that they where trolling eyes a few weeks ago they would still be there. It would be cool to get into some perch also.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Mike, I have a couple of spots out of Hunter’s where I have caught walleyes early but it is a mile walk or so. Willing to share if you are interested. If we can’t get there it would be perch in a bay somewhere. I’m sure Bob will keep us posted

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Putz, you should be able to walk out of Dickies and find Perch,Pike and a few eyes in the weeds. Or walk staight out about 250 yards and you will be in 16-18 feet of water in sand/rocks. If there is no traffic, you should get some Perch. Dickie may also pull you out for a small fee.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Derek, your statement that Dickie will pull me out for a small fee bothers me. Does that mean he will pull me out of the water after I fall through, or or pull me and my portable house out there and back? Just kidding.

Bob Carlson

I’m going to wait till friday b4 I take the chisel out and check the lake. I would like to fish the SW corner of Picard Point at Lakeside. We made some ice last night, only got down to 24-25 deg’s. They are saying single digit’s tonite for a low!!!!!!!!!

Let’s Make Some Ice!!!!

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

Haven’t ice fished on the pond before would like to head up on the 22nd. Any tips as far as depth,places to get on,where to go,what to use would be much appreciated.Am looking forward to seeing some perch and eyes coming through my ice hole.Anyone willing to meet up and spend some time with a couple of Mille Lacs rookies?

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

does anybody know if you can get out on sunset bay
    around the weed line
    cause I am at Fishermans Wharf

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Anybody heading up there early next week like Mon., Tues, or Wed.? Christmas break starts this weekend and my goal is to get 10 days of fishing in before I have to go back. I will be looking forward to everyones reports from this weekend. Bobber, tell me how you do on Picard. I have made the trek out to that area many times and it has always been pretty productive.

Bob Carlson

Here is the Rockman’s (John Odle) new web cam on Mille Lacs Lake Rocky Reef Resort. Check it out for current conditions:

Rocky Reef

Bob Carlson

So sad….James, I thought we would have been the first with the web cam on my house! Great work Rockman!!!!!

Bob Carlson

Putz, It don’t look good for the weather on Saturday……windy around 20 mph——-bad.

Bob Carlson

BigFife, you should come look me up next week. I’m real slow for work this winter and have time on my hand’s…..I think you know where I live?
    give me a call on my cell 218-838-6420 or channel 82 on the marine radio

The ice is pretty wrough NW of Picard but better to the south!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

You’re right, Bob. Maybe Tuesday would better

Bob Carlson

I just made a rode trip from Flagship back home here to Lakeside. Marty from Liberty Beach was out about 1/4 mile with another guy checking ice this morning. They had a Polaris 6×6 on the ice so I would quess some 4-5 inches? I did’nt talk with them only watched from the truck!
    I only had 26 deg’s for a low last night…need colder temp’s, and they are coming early next week!!!
    Just a little FYI……..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Hey Bob, That web cam is pretty neat. Thanks for the link.

Bob Carlson

Thanks Jon, I think I’ve seen better quality in a web cam shot. I used to have a link to a resort on LOW that had a very good picture of their dock/harbor area. I don’t have it any more nor do I remember the name……….I’m getting old I quess.

Just the same, it’s pretty cool!!!! Rockman!

Bob Carlson

I think it was the Angle Inn……….Thanks!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.