Ice

• Pax
    Woodville, WI

There is about 2.5 inches on smaller lakes just north of BAldwin. We are heading out today – Took all day yesterday to find waxies. I’ll report when I have a chance.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

hey Pax,
    Have you by chance checked out Pine lake north of Baldwin? I was going to take a drive down there this afternoon, time permiting. Can’t wait to get out there and pound some craps.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

That is where I went ice fishing yesterday. They were biting. The crappies were normal – biting like crazy but the size really lacks. I hope people throw more back this year so they can grow up a little. Won’t be long before tons of people are there because about 3 vehicles saw me out there.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Pax-
    thanks for the info. I have noticed the smaller sized crappies as well. 2 years ago was the last time I caught true slabs out there. It has to be the fishing pressure. thanks again.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Pax, how much ice did you have? I was thinking of heading over to a couple other lakes in the area, but might not make it out until Sunday. Was hoping the ice would hold up as it supposed to warm up. Thanks.

I hope the snow forecasted for Monday doesn’t materialize. We don’t need heavy snow over thin ice…

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Where were you thinking of heading? I drove around yesterday and checked ice conditions all over norther St Croix and Southern Polk and most seemed good. Around 3 inches on most of them. I like the smaller lakes most of the time so that is what I checked mostly. Went up and looked at Wappo too. There were a couple guys out there as well but I didn’t pop any holes there. I’ll be out this week everyday so I’ll let you know what’s going on. That warm weather just melted the snow on top yesterday – then it re-froze and added another 1/2 inch last night.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Pax-
    did you make it out to pine this last weekend? if you did how’s fishing? I did not know with the aerators out there if it would be safe this early in the year. Also with the warmer temps I thought it would be worse. hopefully by this weekend I will make my first trip out there and eventually the permanent is going out there. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

They haven’t turned on the aereators yet. Ice was still good last weekend. There were a few other people out there last weekend too.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Thanks for the info guys… if you get out on Saturday, a post on ice conditions Saturday night would be super . I’ll probably be heading out Sunday and would like to know if the ice has held up through the crappy weather this week. Last weekend I had 4″ of ice up on White Ash. Fishing was “o.k.” but I may look elsewhere if ice allows. Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.