Meal worms for panfish?

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Hi all,
    I was shopping at a local bird feeding store yesterday and the lady said they were closing the place at the end of the year and everything had to go. One thing she had listed were meal worms, I can pick them up for a few bucks per 1000.
    My question is this, Does anyone use them for panfish or perch? How well do they work? Any presentation tricks other than the typical teardrop or jig? Any storage concerns?

Thanks in advance
    Don

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I can remember from many years ago (80’s) my brother-in-law used to take me out ice fishing in Wyoming. We fished at Lake Texaco near Buffallo. Anyways, we swedish pimples tipped with meal worms and nailed the trout, mostly rainbows. That is the only place I have ever seen them used. I am sure they would work here as well.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

A meal worm really isn’t that different than a waxie…I’d say buy them up

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I have had good luck with them

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Joe,
    Any particular presentations work better than others?

MrSeaguar

They work good. I guess you can grow yer own from corn cobs. We used them the same way youd use a waxie. Only thing is, they are kind of a one bite bait. One good bite and they are pretty ripped up usually.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Back before there was a thing called fishing…I kept them (this is differant than raising them). Just keep’em in a shoe box with cornflakes…at 5 drops of water every two weeks or so.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.