Fish House License

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’m going to start shopping for a sled type portable fish house. I also have a 6′ x 8′ so called portable that folds down to 4′ x 6′ for when the family is with me. I have a license for this house. My question is: can I swap that license between the 2 houses if I only use one at a time in Minnesota?

rainman2
    metro area

Yes you can! I was told by a C.O. that I could have a Dz houses on the lake as long as I have the license on the one that I am fishing out of at that time!

Rainman

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Isn’t it hard to remove the sticker that HAS to be affixed to the portable…

There’s a law that should be wiped out…maybe not permenant houses…but portables? You planing on leaving yours out there every night?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Brian – The fish house tag doesn’t have to be permanently affixed to the fish house. The regulation (page 58, 2004 MN Fishing Regulations) reads: “A tag furnished with the license, must be attached to the exterior in a readily visible location”. I laminated my tag and put it on a clip on lanyard. I have several different portables and depending on which one I am using that day I clip the tag to the door zipper and use it on that house for that day. One other thing people should know: A fish house license is not required on border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa, and South Dakota. So if you are fishing the St Croix, no license is needed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now there’s a good tid bite of info! Thanks Steve…

Any you are right, thank for pointing that out. I stuck mine on last year and for some reason it stuck in my mind that you had to stick it…or something like that.

Hey, if we’re going fishing…you’re not going to bring along any of those jokes are you?

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Ok, sounds like that was an easy question.

I purchased an Otter med cabin today and more questions came to mind.

How about if I want to go to Wisconsin in-land waters to fish with IDA friends? Do I need a Wisconsin shelter license? What if I just pull the sled but don’t set up the house part? For that matter, what if I were in Minn. and the family was fishing in my other house with the license. Could I have the sled with me if I go exploring and don’t put up the tent part?

The bottom line is when does it quit being a sled and start being a shelter that needs a license? I have taped plastic and poles to my old Otter sled for a windbreak. Was that a shelter?

I gotta quit. This thinking is making me dizzy.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As far as I know, we don’t have shelter licences here in WI. Congrat on the new Otter . I bought the Magnum last year and love it. I am going to get the bench seat for it this year. Now if we can just get some ice, I could get the skin put back on the sled and get fishin’. I take the skin off and store it away from all the little gnawing critters .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Putz, you may want to go directly to the DNR website. When I’ve emialed them questions..they’ve been fairly quick to respond…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You don’t need a shelter license in Wi.

That is a Minnesota scam only….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.