Bags for ice fishing rod/reels?

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Guys I’m in the need for a bag to transport the rod and reels on the ice.Done the 5 gallon bucket thing for too many years now.Any ideas?
    Ryan Hale

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I’m thinking the same thing Ryan. I’ve been looking at the Stone Legacy bags. I normally carry anywhere from 6-8 rods so I need something pretty good sized. I was at Fleet Farm yesterday and they didn’t have any of there stuff out yet.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have the DeNeveu Creek Tackle Tote Combo Case by HT Enterprises Model RLD-2 that I bought at Hooked On Fishing in Rochester for 25.00 last winter but haven’t tried ut out yet but it looks like it will work real nice. Thanks, Bill

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Ryan: I bought one of those plastic single gun cases (Koplin?)at Fleet Farm a couple years ago for about $10 and it works great. Holds 6 rods with reels and the foam padding locks it all tight. It straps on the ATV or lays in the pull sled and protects the rods from abuse. I have some of the bag type units also but can only get a couple rods in them. Was concerned that the plastic would be brittle in extreme cold but so far so good. Definitly worth a look.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Todd, give us a report when you get your new Revolution. I’m very interested in how they work, I like the fact you can sling it over your shoulder for those early ice outings when you want to travel light.

Chad

emover
    Malcom, IA

Ryan,
    My wife gave me the Otter Road Box last Christmas, it will hold 36 inch rods and then some, plus some small boxes. I think I have 5 rods in in now. A bit pricy, but I have fallen on it on the ice, and it survived my 300+lbs without breaking or worse yet breaking anything inside. I give it a
    dave

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Ryan I ordered the Stone Legacy Revolution. I read alot of good things about it on the fishing minnesota site so I thought what the heck. The run a special on the fishing minnesota site. If you want to wait till I recieve mine I’ll let you know what I think of it.

Todd

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

What’s wrong with the 5-pail? It carries many sticks along with the tupperware tackle box and a small minnow bucket. You can layer 4 beers and a pint of Peppermint on the bottom and still have room for a flashlight. Take out the rods and you have a chair. Take everything out and replace with a small kitchen garbage bag and you have something for an emergency #2 on the ice. Flatten the beer cans, put the bottle in your pocket and you have room for the fish you catch that night (after you remove the plastic bag, of course). Try doing all that with your fancy-dancy rod bags.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I like your reasoning Putz. We might have to meet up on the ice sometime. You bring your pail, I’ll bring mine. Even if you don’t catch a thing, it will still be fun.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Sounds like a plan to me.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Ryan, I built my own box last winter, and it is working out very nicely. Just this weekend, I installed some rod holders on the botton, and the top cover. It now holds 12 rod comfortably, and can still get the tackle box in with out wrecking anything.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

FB

Could you post a pic or two of that box?

UG

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Uncle Grump.

I will try to get some pictures. I will have to put it back together as best I can since I may have backed over it when backing my boat into the garage. Good thing I didn’t have any gear in it at the time. Might be better to just build a new one.

scottsteil
    Central MN

This is an easy one, check out Stone Legacy. There new bag, the revolution holds 8 ice rods, yes 8. I could hold as few as 4 if you have big rod/reel combos. I personally have 8 in mine, they are all seperated so they do not tangle. Plus, there is room for your tackle and a couple tip-ups also. I highly recommend them

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Well, it might as well end my ‘lurking’ and make this my first official post. I am with Scott on this one.

Another vote for the Stone Legacy Revolution. I had two of them delivered last week. One for myself and one for my father-in-law as a part of his Christmas gift. A nice investment to protect your other investments.

I already have my 6 Tica’s spooled up and packed into my Revolution, now I am just waiting for ice to arrive about one week after deer hunting is over, or if it is anything like last years deer opener, ice will be forming as you hunt.

Take care!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Hey Sunny, welcome aboard! Just about time to dust off those Ice Rods!!!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Welcome Sunny, good to have another ice fisherman aboard.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome to the site SUNNYD. Please feel free to post all you want. Thanks, Bill

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Thanks for the welcoming commitee guys! I hope to share in much of the expertise on this board, I hope I can learn and share what I have learned with others here. I just put my soft-water toy away for the year so I am in anticipation for deer hunting for 9 days beginning on Saturday and hard-water soon to follow although I may have to travel a little farther north than last year if I expect to be on the ice on Thanksgiving…

Take care!

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I have a question for you revolution owners. The two plactic divider peices in the back part that are zip tied to the other plastic. Do you cut the zip tie and and put the two pieces in the slots in the outside two plastic pieces? I recieved nother with the bag other then the Stone Legacy tag on the outside. Thanks alot Todd.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve seen a homemade one that I might try to replicate this year… it was pretty sweet.

Basically it was a 1/4″ plywood box with a hinged top. He had nylon straps with velcro that held the rods into the bottom, then along the sides were moulding pieces that suspended a drawer above the rods. The lid closed tight to the top of both the box and the drawer.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I just got my DeNevea Creek HT ice bag in the mail.I ordered it from Mike Smith and it looks like it is going to be a nice bag.
    Ryan Hale

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike at Hooked On Fishing in Rochester, Mn. lives for ice fishing. Hes an ice fishin nut and really knows what works and carries the right stuff. And he does ship goodies to your door. Even custom made St. Croix rods for open water and ice fishing. Its my favorite place to shop and talk fishin. Thanks, Bill

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Has anyone seen the new Ready Rig Ice Pack in the Cabela’s winter sports catalog. I was thinking about giving it a try. It seems like it might be nice for us river ice heads. It is a backpack style that looks to hold about 4 rod and reel combos. It can be hard to pull a sled to some places on the river and trees like to catch your rods in a 5 gal. pail. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.