Best rigs/bait for walleye and pike

• flyfishforbass
    Wisconsin, Green Bay

Anyone have a favorite bait or rig that will work for walleye or pike through the ice

jhalfen

We fish for both eyes and pike through the ice almost exclusively with tip-ups. Walleye tip ups have braided ice line (for low water absorption), then a good swivel tied to ~ 10 ft of some sort of thin, low-vis mono line. Walleye tip-ups are tipped with a banana-shaped jig head and a lively fathead. Pike tip ups omit the light mono leader and have a heavy mono (20 lb) leader tied to a hand-tied, think wire leader. Typically we use large Kahle-style hooks baited with large shiners. We do some jigging with spoons or jigging raps, but most of our ice fishing is devoted to chasing flags.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

A Quik-Strike on a tip-up w/ a 6-8″ sucker.

Shiners jigged or on a bobber if I can find them.

Both of these for NP.

UG

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I like to jig with a Kastmaster baited with a small crappie minnow on each hook. 3 sets of eyeballs are better than one in my opinion. I use mono line for the stretch because I can’t break the habit of slamming that hook home. The other line is a fathead or shiner on a green hook under a bobber in case the fish are more nuetral that day. Besides, I can’t concentrate well enough to jig with both poles. Also leaves one hand free for sandiches and beverages.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.