Ice Shantys

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

If you have one, are they permanent or portable? I got a nice little portable one. We just pack snow around it, so it keeps the wind out. Seats about 2, our gear and a propane heater. Its a little crowded, but gits r done.

What is your ice home?

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

I’ve got two shelters – an Eskimo QF3 and a Frabill Hideout.

I use the QF3 when I go out w/ a buddy or when I can use the snowmobile (if we have snow). The Hideout I use when I have to walk, or need to travel really light.

UG

krisko
    Durand, WI

I personally use what ever my neighbor has or friends of mine have when we go. I don’t use many shelters. I take it as it goes. Joe you ice fish a lot?? I may have to hook up with you.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Krisko,
    I do a fair amount around here. Halfmoon lake is where I mostly go. I usually throw out tip ups. Sure, I would like to do some ice fishin with ya sometime, when the time comes that is.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ll trade off and try to get you out in the boat on the Rivers, or on Wissota. I can’t wait till fall here to hit the lakes and Mississippi and get some good cappies and gills.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Sounds good to me. You going to enter the fishin contest in Jim Falls comin Sept 3rd?

krisko
    Durand, WI

Sorry I have to work that day. It is acually my long weekend on even. There’s one the next weekend in Meridean I think put on by the Rock Falls Sporsman Club. I may fish that one???

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I might check that one out. I ll git back to you onit.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have two that I use. When I am by myself or with another guy and we do the run and gun I use the Dave Genz Trap Scout. When I am with someone else and we pretty much stay in the same general area, I break out the Otter as it is much roomier and holds the heat well.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

The one i have come to love is the Otter Medium Cabin..It is great for one or two. I really like how much room this shelter has when folded out..I like that you can use it for a wind break or pull it over for complete coverage..the deep sled allows me to put all my gear in it so when I’m pulling it up or down the side of a bank everything stays right inside with out having to bungie everything down…Check their website out at Otter Outdoors and see all the products they have to offer !!

see ya on the ice !!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Dave, as we discussed a the Get Together, I am getting a medium cabin this year. I would take you up on your offer but I received a nice gift certificate for Gander Mountain and will probably use that. Anyway, some questions if you don’t mind.
    I have a 10 year old large Otter sled with the raised front end. Any hardware that would work there? I’m assuming not. How high is the unit if you have an auger and other gear in it? I have to slip it under my topper and on top of my 6′ x 8′ so called portable. Probably 2 feet of clearance. Also, how much does that unit weigh? I’m not getting any younger and trucks are getting higher.
    Thanks for any info

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Does anyone own the Eskimo Quick Flip II or III?

Last season I was looking at these to replace my 10 year old FishTrap II. These Eskimos have many of the nice features of other shantys but are about $75 or more less in cost than the other makes out there. It did seem like a good value compared to the others on the market.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Just bought a clam 2000 last year and brought it up to Bowstring with a group of us. It was meant for 2 people and did accomodate 2 just not very well. Once you get your vexilar, heater and tackle box/bucket in it you can fit one person very comfortably but 2 is a bit cramped. Also the ceiling support rod (extendable) fell apart in about 2 hours of the wind we had the first day. (The little clamp that is supposed to hold it while extended didn’t hold and came apart. thank goodness for duct tape) I would reccommend that they supply the shack with two supports instead of one and will talk to them soon about getting it replaced. (it’s taking me awhile, im a busy man ) Perhaps they will change that seeing as last year was the first year for that model. The shack otherwise is pretty handy though. It fits nicely in my Mountaineer and is VERY light. When folded (and dragged if needed) it has a good amount of room on it for auger and gear and has bucket holders so they bont slide off. It stays pretty warm when set up and the rest of the construction is good.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I agree….

I bought my Clam 2000 and I wasn’t very impressed….Everything you said was true…plus the plastic would crack when you walked around….

Once i fished w/Blue and Watson in their sled sytle Frabils’ I was hooked….Plenty of leg room in front, comfortable seating, space in the sled for gear and heaters….

Clam 2000

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Slop, care to buy mine?

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Fish Any Time

I’ve got a QF3. Got it two years ago at Fleet Farm as a less costly alternative to an Otter. My first commerical built shelter – previously I had a home built. Lots of room, but a high profile – which isn’t good on windy days w/ glare ice. Pulls ok w/ a load on glare ice, but on snow, weight becomes a factor. But there are trade-offs – you get the space, etc.

Twice the wind took me for a ride – once for about a 100 yds – not fun when you’re standing up inside and it happens.

I bought the cover and tow hitch for mine at the time I got it – spent about $340-350 for the whole setup. Mine has two seats, which are quite comfortable, vs the wide bench that now comes with it. I’ve found I can lash my auger to the seat frame w/ some bungies and get the cover over it. My intent is to use the QF3 when there are two of us, or when I can use the truck or snowmobile. If I has to walk, I’m going smaller and lighter (a Frabill Hideout) – bought for that very reason – the OF3 weighs in at 90-100# empty.

I do like the windbreak position on the QF – its perfect on the sunnie days when you want to be out in the open, but want some wind protection too.

Sled is good – but its not an Otter – weight or thickness. I need to track down some hi-fax and get that installed on it.

Hope this helps

UG

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Well I called Clam on the broken spreader pole today (thanks for reminding me with this post) and ordered two spreader poles. The first one was free of course because she said it was still under warranty but she didn’t ask for any type of warranty proof The second spreader pole was $14.95 + $7 s/h. I just wanted to say that The Clam co. has good customer service and I still believe they have good products they just need to do a bit more field testing.
    Slop Bass…. When you say the floor cracks do you just mean it’s noisy on glare ice? I used my shack quite a bit last year and the integrity of the material was great (imo) Never had any problems other than the spreader pole.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Slop’s floor cracks alright. To the point where it leaves pieces of the plastic on the ice.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Wow, that’s not good.. I tip the scales at 220…Slop?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Blue = Hater

I’m a lean 235 and blue is bigger than i am

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Heh, I guess I better plan on buying a new shack 1/4 the way through the season then…. Maybe your floor is still under warranty (or you can say it is )and they’ll send you one. Didn’t seem like they were gonna charge me for s/h if I didn’t get the 2nd pole. Worth a try? phone # is 763-231-4120

blufloyd

Got an Eskimo Quickflip 2 does enuf for me. Had it out on some windy days stayed pretty still. 2 can fish in it if you face each other.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.