Lake Trout, the fish turned back on!

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Got into some active Lakers today in Ely! I started out using a red shiner VMC Tingler, which has been my go-to-spoon for the lakers this year. After about a half hour I switched to a #6 Rapala Rippin Rap, and after 5 minutes a nice mark showed up on my screen, racing off the bottom! I slowed my cadence down and the fish immediately dropped about 3 feet below the bait, so I gave 1 light-quick rip to engage the rattles and it raced back up, and just smoked the bait after a few short lift/drops. In between the two lakers I iced, I had one other fish check me out, hit and miss; just a half hour later the larger of the 2 lakers showed up and reacted almost the exact same way as the first did. Here’s a selfie-video of my short day on the ice, time to fire up the smoker!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbeCOfHKqdU

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Cool video

The little ice fishing I have done was Lake trout fishing off the Gunflint trail and I do miss it. Sure fun to see them on your electronics before they commit. Have seen it when show up out of nowhere and smash your offering.

HmongCreation
    Saint Paul, MN

Nice Job, I was there on 2/8/14 and catch three nice one.

Plan on going back before the season is over

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

Hit me up if you want, I will be out chasing lakers for the rest of the month, and I’m never shy of having a buddy to fish with!

HmongCreation
    Saint Paul, MN

Sound like a plan, are you free the 15,16 next weekend?

Quote:

Quote:

Hit me up if you want, I will be out chasing lakers for the rest of the month, and I’m never shy of having a buddy to fish with!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.