LX9 in shallow water

• Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

Has anyone had success use a LX9 in water 6 feet or less? What are your settings? Even in deeper water my jig doesn”t show up above 5 feet,using 20 degree cone centered in hole.
    Randy

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I have an LX7 and I’ve been fishing a shallow water Bluegill factory all winter that is 4.5 – 5.5′ of water. The way I set my unit up is I run the transducer just barely in the water. I run it in the 10′ mode,8 degree cone angle,& open water setting. Sens at 3 & Target at 1. I can see my jig up to the 3′ mark and we have about 13-14″ of ice a little less in some areas but nothing less than 10″. I run the flasher dial and Zoom bar on the right. You would think with the 8 degree cone angle the gills would never have much separation when near your bait with only a 7″ foot print but the zoom bar definitely proves otherwise. Hope this helps.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t have any problems with my 9 shallow. As stated above, cut the sensitivity way down. I pick up my gill pill about 2′ below the ducer. I don’t know why, but I found increasing the brightness on low sensitivity helps.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

I don’t have any problems with my 9 shallow. As stated above, cut the sensitivity way down. I pick up my gill pill about 2′ below the ducer. I don’t know why, but I found increasing the brightness on low sensitivity helps.

Randy that brightness thing may have something to do with something I have been suspecting. After my unit runs for about 3 hours after a full charge it seems like it starts running better. Maybe the draw on the power by cranking up the back light is whats helping make it run better.

wildoutman
    NORTHEAST PA.

Quote:

I have an LX7 and I’ve been fishing a shallow water Bluegill factory all winter that is 4.5 – 5.5′ of water. The way I set my unit up is I run the transducer just barely in the water. I run it in the 10′ mode,8 degree cone angle,& open water setting. Sens at 3 & Target at 1. I can see my jig up to the 3′ mark and we have about 13-14″ of ice a little less in some areas but nothing less than 10″. I run the flasher dial and Zoom bar on the right. You would think with the 8 degree cone angle the gills would never have much separation when near your bait with only a 7″ foot print but the zoom bar definitely proves otherwise. Hope this helps.

Thanks Glen, I own an LX 6 and having the same problem, but mine worked great for about 8 uses in ice fishing mode, then suddenly my jig which was a bros bloodworm started disapering, that night I researched and found the new firmware upgrade V4.07 I uploaded and tried it out in 9 fow and the problem got worse. I called Marcum and they told me to try the open water setting like you mentioned here, they also sent me the old V3.17 Firmware for if I like to switch back. I Just Don’t understand why it worked perfect for 8 trips out and then I’m pulling my Hair out. Is there a problem with my unit or is everyone experiencing similar problems with there LX 6 ,7 or 9 units.

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

I have the same issue with my LX7 (existed before and after the update)….in 6fow on a 20deg cone I have to set my sensitivity to 20/21, target 0 and can only see my jig no matter the size in the bottom 12″, any higher than that and it disappears. I also emailed Marcum and they suggested, open water mode, play with color palettes(spelling?), and just barely put the ducer in the water. Tried all that with no better results. It works and I can see everything but I’m sure glad the sens goes to 25 or I would be screwed. Now on the other hand when I fish 30fow….sens goes to 8/10 and target to 1/2 and I can see the private parts of the minnow . Weird.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.