Bluegills jigs

• renegadewalleye

What kind of knot is used for Blue gills jigs? Also what kind of jigs should I use during this time of year

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

1. Pass the line through the eye of the hook, or swivel.

2. Double back. make five turns around the line.

3. Pass the end of the line through the first loop, above the eye, and then through the large loop. Draw the knot into shape.

4. Slide the coils down tight against the eye.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

The gold diamond jig is one of my favorites too but it always seems to be one of the first colors to sell out. I like the way it shows up on the flasher better than some others.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I use the Palomar Knot. Custom Jigs and Spins, Jammin Jigs, Fiskas and hand tied flies are all in my box for gills.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Black or red CJ&S Ratso.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Use a basic overhand knot. When done you should have a half inch to one inch loop at end. Smaller loop is better but not critical.

dld24

In shallow water I like the CJS nuclear ant..

robby
    Quad Cities

Lime Glow Ratfinkee for me. Strictly speaking bluegills.

BBKK
    IA

I just use an improved clinch. Never broke or slipped a knot while ice fishing.

For jigs, I’d suggest a #10 firetiger gill pill. Put a waxworm or 2-3 maggots on it and you will catch a bluegill.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

X2 Firetiger Gill Pills, Diamond Jigs and tungsten from Custom Jigs and Spins.

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Palomar knot and loop knot, jigs size 12,10, and tungsten 3 & 4mm.Jig colors whatever they want each day.With plastics,rubber bands,balloons and dental floss and sometimes meat as a last resort

riverruns
    Inactive

Quote:

1. Pass the line through the eye of the hook, or swivel.

2. Double back. make five turns around the line.

3. Pass the end of the line through the first loop, above the eye, and then through the large loop. Draw the knot into shape.

4. Slide the coils down tight against the eye.

Is there a name for this knot? Thanks.
    Shawn

BBKK
    IA

That’s the improved clinch.

riverruns
    Inactive

Quote:

That’s the improved clinch.

OK.

It’s what I use, and always called it, “the rabbit goes through the hole around the tree 5 times back through the hole and up through the upper hole”. Easy for the kids to understand.
    Shawn

renegadewalleye

After a little searching well wasn’t that hard. I used a fire tiger Fiskas jig with a Palomar knot. Some people said to keep the jig horizontal but I had good success with a vertical with the hook pointing down with wax worms. Biggest of the day was nine an half inches.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice work, I use Fiska jigs mostly. Size 3 for finicky gills and 4 most other applications. Their hooks are very sharp.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.