Building ice house – electrical system help

• Eric.Christians
    Sabin - Moorhead, MN

Designing an electrical system for a permanent 10×20 fish house on skids

My end result would be all 12v LED lights, with some 12v outlets for fans, phone chargers, etc. furnace will not require electric. There will be some 120v outlets that will only be usable when generator is running so no reason to go 12v to 120v. I will however need to be able to hook up a generator to charge batteries and operate 120v outlets when solar doesn’t keep up.

Electrical source – I plan to have solar panels as a primary and hope to get by with no other source but I do want to have a generator option.
    What type of panels to get – amorphous seems to be an older outdated style that many claim are making a comeback but do not last as long. Crystalline seems to last longer but what is difference between mono & poly crystalline?

Generator – I do not currently have a generator and would like to not purchase one if solar can keep up but I will be wiring system to accept generator with a male recessed plug in side of house so there’s no cord hanging out the side. What size plug do I put in to be most universal- 20-50 amp?

Charge controller – is this hooked in line so that generator power also goes through this? What do I want to look for in a good one?

Batteries – gel, flooded, etc. what type?i would like to be able to leave these in the fish house while it is un-heated with the solar panels charging batteries. The house will be used where -30 Degrees F is common & freezing of batteries is a real concern.

I have done a lot of research already and have learned things like how to size my solar needs, how to minimize my draw (led lights, etc) but there is still so much more to learn and it’s complicated. I am very familiar with electrical systems in homes and have electrician friends who will help but I know RV 12 v Systems are not their expertise.

I need help with everything from choosing components to a schematic. Sorry post is so long but please help.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Charge wizzard for your charger, a minnkota style will also work but the wizard is better for using while drawing at the same time. The Wizard comes with a plug end and I just installed an extra outlet under my dinette to power it. (under dinette storage for battery, charger, breaker box and 12v fuses)

FHS has a plug that goes on the outside of your shack and accepts the female end of an extension cord. I then ran the leads to a 2 bank breaker box then ran my 110 outlets and lights in series. Right and left side for the breakers.

I got most of my stuff through http://www.fishhousesupply.com. Ron is out of Buffalo, mn and is a very nice fella.

U have the double bank LED lights from Milaca unclaimed freight. To be honest I get better light from 2 of them than using 4, 60watt 110volt bulbs. I think Milaca Unclaimed freight has a web site.

Eric.Christians
    Sabin - Moorhead, MN

Great info! Thanks for the reply. I have spent the whole day researching this stuff since we can’t even see 50′ here with the storm we’re stuck in the house. No fishing

Other input welcome

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.