Portables in the Wind

• Bigwalleye30
    MN

With the wind coming tomorrow I’m just wondering how strong of winds are really too strong to use a portable in? Winds are forecasted at 25-35 mph with gusts over 40 where I’m at and wondering how the otter would work in those winds.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Too many variables in your question?
    Place it behind your vehicle.
    Are there 2 people so one can always be in it for weight?
    Dep snow, packed or ice?
    Ive had my lodge scoot on me in low snow sitting in it before.
    Leave it hitched to a sled or wheeler.

Only one way to find out.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

id give it a go. I wouldnt want to be out there in a suitcase style house but I think you will be fine in your otter.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

After a little incident last year on Mille lacs, (shack flipped & 580G costa’s down the hole) I put two small eye bolts on the outside back corners of my sled then use two of the screw in ice anchors tied to a short rope.
    BTW anyone fishing 8 mile finds my shades I’ll buy ya a beer

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Just set it up within inches of an empty permanent shack as a wind block. The side of the permanent that has the door usually works the best. Just make sure someone hasn’t put sand on the ice…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Eskimo Ice Anchors…Don’t leave home without it.

Drill a hole into your sled. Use a strap/rope to attach sled to anchor.

shaley
    Milford IA

My XT 650 will take 40 mph easily back to the wind and hooked to the ATV, think it would have been fine even without all the braces….

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

Just set it up within inches of an empty permanent shack as a wind block. The side of the permanent that has the door usually works the best. Just make sure someone hasn’t put sand on the ice…

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

Poorboy
    Illinois

I drilled 2 holes through the tub of my shanty and while sitting down inside I’ll screw in my ice anchors. I needed them yesterday when I was out. Fished a slough with bare ice and I left my anchors at home. Everytime I went to get up for a beer the shack would start moving.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Make note to yourself next time bring more beer for balast.

IBOW2

I know that nobody owns the lake but it would be pretty bad manners IMO to drill holes and leave glare ice right in front of someones door.
    I always put back of shelter into the wind and put an anchor in front of the sled. My tow rope is hooked to the sled with 2 detachable clips that I can hook to a third eye bolt on the back corner of the sled to anchor it in really strong winds.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

I know that nobody owns the lake but it would be pretty bad manners IMO to drill holes and leave glare ice right in front of someones door.

It was a joke referencing another thread about someone setting up a portable next to an empty permanent. There was talk of scattering sand around to stop such behavior.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.