Bluegill imitation?

• BBKK
    IA

I was fishing today and noticed lots of schools of bait moving in and out of the flasher, and big lines below them. It took me a few minutes but I finally caught one, small 12″ bass. Being the smart fella I was, I thought they were bass chasing minnows or tiny shad. I switched to a 1″ gulp minnow and caught 5 or 6 more of the bass and one 8″ gill. I had a ton of fish come up off bottom real quick and then sit on the minnow and eventually go back down. I couldn’t figure out what they were. Eventually I caught one of them, A PERCH! Okay, now its coming together. Perch and bass chasing small schools of shiners! Well I ended up with 3 of the little perch at the end of the day, lots of lookers but few takers.

Upon cleaning the perch I discovered them to be PACKED full of 1″ bluegills. No minnows, no shiners, no shad, just bluegills. Those must have been schools of yearling bluegills I was seeing getting chased around. Now what would a guy use to mimic a small bluegill? They didn’t take a liking to the gulp minnow very well. Tried jigging spoons of various colors and styles but they wouldn’t touch them.

rapidsjigger24
    Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

I believe the “Mini Maki” by Maki Plastics is supposed to resemble a bluegill fry.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

My brother caught a nice perch the other day and when he cleaned it he noiticed the same thing…bunch of little bluegills inside of it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Always interesting seeing what they are munching on. This seems pretty close to me, I tend to go more natural colors myself. Good luck finding the ticket next time out.

BBKK
    IA

What is it?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

VMC teardrop jig. Closest I could find in 10min of web searching.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Crappies enjoy a meal of sunfish too. Find a depression on the bottom where things tend to be flat and you’ll find sunfish and perch. Find the edges of the depression and you’ll find crappies patrolling there looking to snap up a wandering youngster of the sunfish genre.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Crappies enjoy a meal of sunfish too. Find a depression on the bottom where things tend to be flat and you’ll find sunfish and perch. Find the edges of the depression and you’ll find crappies patrolling there looking to snap up a wandering youngster of the sunfish genre.

Ahh screw those skinny bass… bring on the perch and gills!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Quote:

Ahh screw those skinny bass… bring on the perch and gills!

YEP WITH YA ON THAT ONE!!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.