Transducer?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Where do you set your transducer when ice fishing? I see plenty of guys with a couple of feet of cord out or more. Must be trying to set below the ice. Typically set mine with less than a foot of cord out and then just position it in the center of the hole. Have had at times in really shallow water the top of the transducer barely under the surface of the water. In this situation it really needs to be centered in the hole to not read the ice.

Cant say I have ever set up with the ducer under the ice. Seems like a lot of cord to haul around while hole hopping.

This is on a marcum lx 3.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Being I just got mine. Have no idean. I’d watching replies for tip on what works best. I have the Showdown 5.6

shaley
    Milford IA

Mines below the ice to keep from having to grab it out of the way, LX-7’s

BBKK
    IA

Just inside the hole. About an inch from the bottom of the ice.

iabubba
    NULL

With my old lx2 just like shaley just below bottom of the hole..

shamus
    Inactive

So the bottom of the transducer is even or just below the bottom of the hole. Currently running an LX-5

I do this because that’s what I was told I was supposed to do when I was learning to run a flasher.

duke.harbaugh

Quote:

Cant say I have ever set up with the ducer under the ice. Seems like a lot of cord to haul around while hole hopping.

X2

Bryan Myers

I run mine so the ducer is just below or even with the bottom of the ice. That way it’s low enough to not read the ice, but not so low that every fish wraps the line up in the ducer wire.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

I run mine so the ducer is just below or even with the bottom of the ice. That way it’s low enough to not read the ice, but not so low that every fish wraps the line up in the ducer wire.

X2, and I dont use my float so it stays to the side of the hole. and doesnt tangle as much as it floats around.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve heard of some guys swinging the transducer to scout for fish, but has anyone reached down into the hole and held the transducer like a flashlight to sidescan an area? A long rubber sleeve glove would work to both insulate and keep dry.

Ekez

Lol sounds like a good idea. As for my ducer I keep the top of the transducer just below the bottom of the ice.

Bryan Myers

I swing my ducer all most everytime I leave a hole or stop marking fish in that hole, and you could reach down there at tip it side to side by hand but it will be much colder and time consuming. I will just sing the ducer in a circle or make an x pattern in the hole to see if there are any fish off to the side of the hole to know which way to move or if I should stay still for a bit longer.

BurlapBrothers
    Kavokian Slough, WI

I prefer the top of the ducer to be flush with the bottom of the ice. I don’t like having it in the hole

gimp

I use Vexilar Pro pack so I set my float so the transducer will sit in the carrier and the float locks into the handle so at the most maybe 16 inches of cord hang down the hole.
    even when I fish out of the pick up and its mounted to the door I do not move the float

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

For me it depends on how deep I am fishing. Shallow water I center it in the hole and only have a little bit of cord out. Deeper water I run it so it is right at the bottom of the hole.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.