Questions on my Otter Cabin

• joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Has anyone ever had issue with their Otter windows cracking?  I’m going out this weekend and it looks like I could be out in as cold as -30 and I don’t want to risk any cracked windows.  I haven’t had any issues yet in the teens below zero but this will be a new test and I have had issue with an older frabill house I had. 

Also,  I’m really interested in updating to a thermal.  Can I purchase just a thermal shell for my Otter Cabin?  I haven’t found anyone selling the shells only in my search online.  How much would an Otter Cabin thermal shell run and where could I get one?

Thanks,

Joe

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I purchased my first Otter Cabin II back in 1997 and after 15 seasons on the ice, not one cracked window. I finally sold that one and purchased a new Thermal XT1200 Otter Cabin this year. We’ve been experiencing a well below normal temp winter here in SD. The new Otter Cabin has been on the lake almost a dozen times this year in temps down to -18. The windows at this point have stayed very soft and pliable in the brutal temps.

I know James and Joel were here fishing the same week, and we had some brutal temps and I think they could also attest to the durability of the Otters and the windows.

For the most part, my Cabin is locked up in the back of my truck and has only been pulled in the garage twice this winter for thawing out. The way this one is constructed compared to my older Otter, I expect this one to be around for 15 years like my last one.

If you look at some of the other forum boards, there are a lot of complaints this year with Clam windows cracking. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with Otter.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

All plastic will get brittle in extreme cold, but I think Otter uses some of the best plastic in their windows. I have never been out in -20 or colder with my shack so no real world experience here.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Otter has spent alot of time/effort in their window systems, finding the optimal type plastic to withstand extreme temps. Like Steve (aiathompson) said, we’ve fished in some stupid cold this year, and even colder temps years past with this just not being a problem at all.

Could you crack it with abuse? Maybe. But that goes with anything we deal with outside during these extremely cold temps. That said, I’m known for being rough on my stuff, and it’s been me-proof at least up to this point.

Get out fishing and don’t look back! Good luck!

Joel

Steve Thompson

Joetc, I did forget to mention that Otter is not selling just the shelter this year like they have in the past. I was planning on doing the same thing, just replacing the cover/frame until I started talking with Tom Neustrom, Brad Hawthorne and Quintin B when they were here in town for an ice show and seminars.

In past years, the sled is the only difference at roughly $150 for the Cabin, however by buying a whole new unit, I was able to sell my old (1997) Cabin II for $300 online through Craigslist. That left me $150 ahead in the long run with a whole new unit.

jmrooshkie3
    NULL

with how much otters cost you would hope you wouldnt have that issue there like twice the price as clam

Steve Thompson

jmrooshkie3, actually if you compare the two closest models of Clams and a Frabill to the Otter Cabin, the price is pretty close. Since I decided to invest in a new shelter this year, I did my homework, sat in all the models, talked with several local shop owners and made a side by side comparison from price to features to size.

Otter XT1200 Cabin: $849

Clam JM THERMAL X: $829

Clam X2 THERMAL: $849

Frabill Thermal Predator: $889

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Had my Otter Thermal Lodge out yesterday all day and didnt crack one window-this is last years model. The new ones do not have any issues that I have seen. Its too rubbery of a window to crack but maybe I have been lucky. Otter usually does quite a bit of homework before putting something on their product.

tswoboda

Quote:

jmrooshkie3, actually if you compare the two closest models of Clams and a Frabill to the Otter Cabin, the price is pretty close. Since I decided to invest in a new shelter this year, I did my homework, sat in all the models, talked with several local shop owners and made a side by side comparison from price to features to size.

Just sayin but all 3 houses listed are noticeably bigger than a cabin, pretty much right in the middle of a Cabin and a Lodge so not a fair comparison. Also your price on the Predator is $100 high.

I also have an Otter II Cabin from the late 90’s or early 2000’s; black canvas with small round poles. The house is awesome, takes an absolute beating and doesn’t miss a beat. Otter makes high quality and durable portable shelters.

HOWEVER, both windows cracked pretty bad within the first 5 years of owning it. This is a really old house though so take it for what it’s worth.

Steve Thompson

Quote:

Quote:

Just sayin but all 3 houses listed are noticeably bigger than a cabin, pretty much right in the middle of a Cabin and a Lodge so not a fair comparison. Also your price on the Predator is $100 high.

tswoboda, your right about the size and the Otter Lodge may be a better size comparion at $949. None of the shelter listed are an exact match in size, height nor weight, but the size of the Cabin is what I needed for my personal use. As far as the price, I’m quoting manufacturer’s retail price and i’m sure you can find them for less money. I thought I saw that Reeds has the Predator for $779, but you need to ask why is it on sale….

In all fairness, all the companies make good products, have great customer service, however IMHO, the Otter’s products will outlast the others.

broman

-25 a few weeks back in URL. No problems with my Otter. Both windows on my friends Frabill shattered.

fisherman-andy

Any thoughts on how much warmer are the XT1200 full thermals over the XT650 thermal tops?

tswoboda

Quote:

tswoboda, your right about the size and the Otter Lodge may be a better size comparion at $949. None of the shelter listed are an exact match in size, height nor weight, but the size of the Cabin is what I needed for my personal use. As far as the price, I’m quoting manufacturer’s retail price and i’m sure you can find them for less money. I thought I saw that Reeds has the Predator for $779, but you need to ask why is it on sale….

In all fairness, all the companies make good products, have great customer service, however IMHO, the Otter’s products will outlast the others.

Right on, there really are no exact comparisons between brands. You need to pick the shelters from each brand that will suit your needs and compare those just as you did. FYI Frabill’s website does have the Thermal Predator at $799 ??

I don’t think anyone can honestly argue against the fact that an Otter will outlast the other brands.

Steve Thompson

Quote:

Any thoughts on how much warmer are the XT1200 full thermals over the XT650 thermal tops?

I read somewhere on one of the manufacturers website there is something like a 25-30 degree difference between the thermal and non-thermal. With the minus -5, -10 and -15 below temps we’ve been experiencing in South Dakota (add in 10-20mph winds) there have been many days on the ice that the wind chill has been minus -30 or lower.

I will tell you that my Mr Heater heater/cooker has kept my XT1200 plenty warm enough that I sit in there with just a hoodie. There is no way my old non-thermal Otter would be anywhere close to being warm.

Glad I decided to invest in the new XT1200 thermal since mother nature has been throwing some nasty cold our way.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Quote:

I have the xt650 and had it out over the weekend in -10f with a little wind. Was able to fish in a sweatshirt with the big buddy on low and fan going. I can’t comment on how much warmer the full thermal is though since I haven’t fished in one yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.