Ice hut for newby

• JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

I am 100% new to ice fishing. I actually haven’t been since my grandpa took me when I was about 8 years old and I got frost bite because I didn’t have the proper boots and gloves.

I see that some of the ice huts I have been looking at are kind of costly. Especially since I would like to get one that is big enough to take my kids with me.

My question is, do you know of a way to build your own portable hut for a lot less money or is buying one about the best way to go? I would guess I will have time to go 6-10 times per season so it wouldn’t get a ton of use.

Thanks guys

JT Bagwell

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Everyones idea of costly varies, but you can get a hub style pretty fairly priced and roomy. I’d get a thermal if going that route.

Moonboots
    Iron Range

You can get a roomy Eskimo for 159.00 they are probally on sale to. It doesn’t come with a bench seat and storage area. But you can build your own to your personal specs. Or u can rig up a blue tarp with aluminum poles and some plywood.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I would also look at a hub shelter as well. Big roomy and cheaper.

JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

Thanks guys.

It sounds like I just need to shop around a bit. I looked at a few at BPS and Cabela’s and they were in the $800-$1,000 range and that was way more than I can justify for as little as it will get used.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Craigs list is how I got started in ice fishing a few years ago. Slightly used auger, flip over style house, and Vexilar. All told I put in about $800 for the big three items and bought a few lures and cheap rods to start. Saved a bunch of money and got a high quality start. Would absolutely do it that way again.

Some years ago in college I had a roommate who thought he could build his own hut for less. Well we were all broke and he’s notoriously cheap too. In the end the “homemade” portable didn’t really make the grade and wasn’t a great deal either.

Moonboots
    Iron Range

Check Craigslist there’s some deals to be had also.

JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

Thanks Pat.

I am going to check there now.

Storm Rider
    NULL

I have a Clam Bigfoot XL4000T for sale if you are interested. I only used it once. I am looking for $275.

robby
    Quad Cities

HAppy New Year JT!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

If I had too start over, I would buy my gear in this order…

Rods/reels/tackle.
    Spud.
    Flasher.
    Good bibs and boots.
    Decent coat, hat, and gloves.
    Auger.
    Tip ups.
    Accesories like a multi-tool, gear sled, ice scoop, bait cooler, head lamp, and propane heater.
    Ice shanty.

To me a shanty is a pain and I only use it if I need to. There are a whole lotta things I would get a lot more use out of first. At one point i didnt have an auger. Would just go to community holes on nice days and spud open old holes.

C-list is a good place to start for most things. As for a home made shack…I had one once. Not worth it. You can look for shacks end of season and usually get some deals. My first shack cost 79 dollars and was from menards. Got me all the way through college and then some. Good luck.

JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

Quote:

HAppy New Year JT!

Hey same to you Rob. I actually saw a picture of you the other day in some Ice Fishing article I stumbled across written by Galusha.

Thanks guys for the input. I think I am going to hold off on getting a Ice hut until next year or maybe in the off season when they are cheaper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.