New thermal shack

• Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Have an F150 with 5.5′ box and looking at a new thermal shack. Currently have a Yukon 2 man but after fishing in northern WI last week with the dripping issues and frozen shack the next day the wife and I are looking for something thermal. Any recommendations are appreciated. Happy New Year! Todd

Poorboy
    Illinois

Check out the new Frabill Thermal Ambush. Gotta love the extra room and the side door entry. Very happy with mine!

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

looks nice but 66″ length, don’t know if it will fit. My clam is 64 and barely closes. Looked at one at Farm and Fleet and really liked the side doors and fishable area. Would have to try one to see if it would fit before I can buy. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Todd

shaley
    Milford IA

Otter Cabin? I have the 650 and love it friends run the 1200 and it’s even nicer….Not sure on the cabins size though… Pulled my lodge around by hand in the new 3″ of snow and surprised how easy it drags, better than my Clam Kenai…

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

I have an older Otter cabin and it fits perfect in my 150 crewcab shortbox.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I own a ’12 silverado crew and an Otter Cabin XT1200.. it fit’s like a glove !!!

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

Have an F150 with 5.5′ box and looking at a new thermal shack. Currently have a Yukon 2 man but after fishing in northern WI last week with the dripping issues and frozen shack the next day the wife and I are looking for something thermal. Any recommendations are appreciated. Happy New Year! Todd

if the Yukon fits and the house works for you why not just save your self some money and order a TC skin for it. the roof would be thermal but the wall would still be non thermal but atleast the dripping would stop. the only other full thermal Clam that would be slightly shorter would be the full thermal nanook. the other option would be to consider something like the Bigfoot XL4000T full thermal hub style house.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Build or find yourself a large receiver hitch mount hauler. I built one to fit my Lodge. Have a 6.5′ box that it fit fine in but was getting sick of loading it solo. Also I can now take whichever vehicle I want of ours fishing of haul an extra shack if using the truck.
    Something to consider.

fieds
    ottertail county

hitch haulers are great for the port, got me one of those power lift ones with the swing away arm for mobility scooters.
    i can haul a wheeler and the portable. nice to leave the trailer at home.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Eskimo fatfish 949i hub, plenty of room in your truck bed for other gear and weights 34lbs, Glenn’s has the best price…worth a look!

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I bought a hitch hauler and modified it to haul my shack. When we go to LOTW those long runs on the lake are better not pulling the shack and when I go to load into the truck I just leave everything hooked up.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I was in the exact same boat as you a month ago, and went with the Otter 1200 Cabin. Awesome shack with full thermal and just fits in the 5.5 foot Ford box.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Build or find yourself a large receiver hitch mount hauler. I built one to fit my Lodge. Have a 6.5′ box that it fit fine in but was getting sick of loading it solo. Also I can now take whichever vehicle I want of ours fishing of haul an extra shack if using the truck.
    Something to consider.

Does your portable get very dirty with all the road salt?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Check Out Canvas Craft they started the thermal house, I have a single and a double flip, both are great houses..

Gotem

I have a otter cabin thermal and am considering a new Ford with the 5.5 box. Going by this post, it will fit length wise. I was wondering if it will also fit under a access rollup cover?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a otter cabin thermal and am considering a new Ford with the 5.5 box. Going by this post, it will fit length wise. I was wondering if it will also fit under a access rollup cover?

Yes. I have a 15 f150 with the 6.5′ box and a otter lodge. It fits under the Access rollup cover. Although, you do have to remove the seats. That is kind of a pain.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Build or find yourself a large receiver hitch mount hauler. I built one to fit my Lodge. Have a 6.5′ box that it fit fine in but was getting sick of loading it solo. Also I can now take whichever vehicle I want of ours fishing of haul an extra shack if using the truck. Something to consider.

Mark,

I would love to see some pics of what you built. I’m getting too old to lift the 1200 Lodge in and out of the truck.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.