Using Lakemaster on the Ice?

• DRH1175

So how is everyone using their Lakemaster chips on the ice as Humminbird doesn’t make a handheld gps? My lowrance took a crap and I want to buy a new gps and lakemaster mn chip.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

My lowrance x26 is rigged to work on the snowmobile, atv, truck and of course the boat. Any hummingbird unit can be rigged the same way.

shaley
    Milford IA

I use my HDS units on a Vex pack for my GPS but dont care for LM I run Navionics…

joshkral

I pulled my humminbird 587 off my boat and drug it around on my sled a few years ago. They make ice ducers and it will display like a flasher once you find the spot you are looking for with your lakemaster gps.Don’t be stupid like I was and passout overnight with the unit left on and wake up with a dead frozen battery.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The wife got me the RAM mount for my HB 597 to go on the wheeler for Christmas. Tried it out last weekend, worked great but it didnt help me catch fish, just marked a few spots that I’ll never return to

KirtH
    Lakeville

Do you have a Smartphone or iPad if so get the Navionics App and protective case everyone is going to this

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Hummingbird 385ci portable unit

tswoboda

Quote:

Do you have a Smartphone or iPad if so get the Navionics App and protective case everyone is going to this

We are??

If you are used to Lakemaster accuracy, you will be disappointed with the Navionics App.

I’d say get a Lowrance Sonar/GPS combo and get the Lowrance Chip, same data as 2011 Lakemaster chips.

dld24

Buy a Garmin GPS with the Garmin Upper Midwest Fishing Guide, its the same data as Lakemaster, but you get lakes for ND,SD,IA,MN,WI,MI or something like that…I’m going to buy one next year for sure..

DRH1175

The GPS unit I have that took a crap was the lowrance ifinder expedition. I got used to LakeMaster. The navionics app for my phone isn’t close. So another question what about the navionics hot maps platinum or premium. If I go with the lowrance product is it the insight product that is equal to LakeMaster. I am looking for mostly mille lacs, Winnibigoshish and lotw. Thanks!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

If you have a bird/lakemaster as well as navionics app, they each have their time and place.

Several lakes have 1′ contours on the app that my latest lakemaster chip has in 5′ contours.

When they both have 1′, i use my Bird for obvious reasons, accuracy and clarity as well as waypoints.

I use my navionics app more when i’m not fishing, chatting with a buddy i can quick pull up a lake map to talk about where the fish have been biting, or where we want to go today, etc…
    Sure is handy having lake map in your phone, but quality is nothing compared to an HD lake on your bird. I use a smartphone too btw, i understand there may be additional features for a tablet.

tswoboda

Quote:

The GPS unit I have that took a crap was the lowrance ifinder expedition. I got used to LakeMaster. The navionics app for my phone isn’t close. So another question what about the navionics hot maps platinum or premium. If I go with the lowrance product is it the insight product that is equal to LakeMaster. I am looking for mostly mille lacs, Winnibigoshish and lotw. Thanks!

Yes, pretty sure I’m using the Lowrance Lake Insight Pro 2012. Same contours as the 2011 Lakemaster Chips for MN and LOTW/Rainy. With the Insight Chip all the LM chips are combined into one and there are a few extras on some popular lakes like community fishing spots and bottom composition.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

DLD24 I just received my new Garmin 62stc with the same lake chip. I used it on a small lake that was about 8′ in difference between the two. The GPS said I should have been in 5-10′ and was actually in 16.5′. Not a great first impression, hope it’s better on the bigger lake I normally fish. Makes me wonder where Garmin got the information for the lake I just fished?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.