Inline or spinning reel ???

• dld24

Quote:

Personally I would go with a quality spinning reels.
    The drags on the inlines have not gotten to the level of the good spinning reels. I am sure someone will come out with a better inline next year.

The most popular is a Shimano Sedona right now. Most guys find that is all you need. Shimano Sahara’s and above are nicer. I really like Symetre but, most don’t spend that much.

I use Sedona’s for most of my rods. I use Sienna’s for some too. Granted those have modified drags and are cleaned before using them in the cold.

Thank you for your order

John what did you use to upgrade your drags on your siennas?? Did you use the carbon fiber drags or teflon?? I want to upgrade mine so they work a little better in the cold like my sedonas..

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have 3 inlines of various styles and the other 4 rods have shimano sahara’s. Never been impressed with the shimano’s in the winter. Don’t forget to adjust your drag when you go from inside your portable to hole hoping.

Recently put the low temp bever dam lube on all my spinning and inline reels. Helped some for sure, but still not as smooth as i want them.
    Started looking online for new drag washers and found the “Smoothdrag” Carbon fiber washers and am highly considering upgrading several reels beyond my ice lineup.

Is smoothdrag the only drag washer alternative out there?

tucrs
    NW Metro

We have the conversion in the shop. It takes a few minutes we also have a tested grease for the drag. Works in some very cold conditions.

jigginfireman

Quote:

I don’t buy into the line twist issue, if you jig anything horizontal or with plastics its going to go around in a circle making line twists.. whether you have an inline or not. As long as you do not reel against your drag, a spinning reel will not create a line twist.

Spoons, plastics, jiggin raps, other hard baits, live minnows… they all go around in circles and put twists into your line, no matter what reel you have.

I believe that your correct there isn’t much out there that will not twist your line. They key is to “limit” line twisting. Thats’s where the in-line reels and old Schooley reels shine in my opinion. FYI I still use spinning reels for vertical presentation of spoons. Horizontal jigs I go with my in line reels.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I was turned on to a awesome lubricant far better than any standard reel lubricant. I’ve tried hot sauce, Abu, frabil, shimano, and bps! Ardent seems to be the best actual reel lube I found. However, the stuff I got turned on to blew all that stuff away!

Bronzback do you use the grease or the oil ???

http://crusaderweaponry.com/shop

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I got the combo deal when I bought it. There was a dealer at a gun show carrying it. I replace the factory grease with grease and use the oil on the bearings and all other moving parts. I also make sure the drag washers have a light coating of the oil on them. The 6061’s I have are so smooth now you can set that drag to almost zero resistance. They don’t have any variance in pressure from initial surge to a continued steady pull.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I got the combo deal when I bought it. There was a dealer at a gun show carrying it. I replace the factory grease with grease and use the oil on the bearings and all other moving parts. I also make sure the drag washers have a light coating of the oil on them. The 6061’s I have are so smooth now you can set that drag to almost zero resistance. They don’t have any variance in pressure from initial surge to a continued steady pull.

Hey Bronzbak, how does that stuff work in your higher end baitcasters?

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Works awesome in my shimano Calis DC’s and Chronarchs! It’s the only stuff I use anymore. I clean all my reels every early spring. I also change out every new reels factory lube before they go in use. This is the only lubricant I will use on any of my reels.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.