Inline or spinning reel ???

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now that I have a new TUCR rod ( Noodle ) on the way ( Thanks John ) I need to decide what reel to put on it. it seems that all the hype on inline reels has sort of died down. Not sure if I should go with a inline like a black Betty 6061 or with a quality spinning reel like a Shimano Symetre 500. What are most of you using on you noodle rods? I like the idea of the spinning reel so that I can also use it on my ultralite rod in the summer but if the reduced line twist is that much of a advantage while ice fishing I will go that route.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Personally I would go with a quality spinning reels.
    The drags on the inlines have not gotten to the level of the good spinning reels. I am sure someone will come out with a better inline next year.

The most popular is a Shimano Sedona right now. Most guys find that is all you need. Shimano Sahara’s and above are nicer. I really like Symetre but, most don’t spend that much.

I use Sedona’s for most of my rods. I use Sienna’s for some too. Granted those have modified drags and are cleaned before using them in the cold.

Thank you for your order

692fisherman
    champlin mn

i got to use my eagle claw for the forst time this weekend and had mixed thoughts about it….. great for shallow water pan fishing etc…. didnt feel as good as i thought. not balanced very well side to side and had to hold it like a regular spinning reel…would be nicer i think for fishing outside i think, less moving parts so…… now i have never fished a betty so they might be different…… thats my two cents

BBKK
    IA

I believe I have an older BPS supreme on mine, which is pretty much a pflueger trion.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

A rod needs to be made for a inline reel. The rods being commercially made and by theses builders are made for a spinning reel. To function properly the eyes and handle need to be offset to accommodate the weight balance of a inline reel. Putting a inline on a standard made rod handicaps it’s ability of balancing and being more comfortable in hand. As for the drags on inlines with a few added Teflon washers and a re-lube they function flawless. I landed a 27 pound buffalo on 2/8 braid with a 3 pound Fluro leader. The fish made numerous 20-30 yard runs over a 15 minute battle. Until these rod builders and companies figure how to make a functional rod for a inline it’s a horse a piece. I have been building my own rods and immediately realized how to fine tune a rod. The drag issues is not uncommon in any reel. I always remove factory grease and do a re-lube on all my reels.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I got on the In-line band wagon and then got off. For the way I hold the rod (pencil/pistol) a spinning reel works better for me. Also I was not impressed with the drag systems on the in-line reels.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

I got on the In-line band wagon and then got off. For the way I hold the rod (pencil/pistol) a spinning reel works better for me. Also I was not impressed with the drag systems on the in-line reels.

This may or may not work and TUCR’s may have some input but I was eyeing up the split grip to actually excel at giving a person the ability to hold using the pencil grip more easily . The reel may have to be mounted a little farther ahead but anchoring your thumb web in the space between the grip would stop your hand from creeping up on the reel. Personally I have found myself jigging my inline reel using the pencil grip and it helps balance out the side balance issue. Just my thoughts.

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m all for inlines I run 4, as far as the balance issue there isnt one…I run 6061’s and Teardrops and use them for everything except deadsticking and sight fishing….Deadstick still has a spinning reel sight rod sports afly reel…I have 1 more inline to add to complete the swap from sinning reels, problem is what one to get…..

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

After trying both inline reels and spinning I think the good quality spinning reel is better right now. They definitly need to get some middle grade inline reels out there that are better than those cheaper ones. The black betty is a good one but I think spinning reel wins my vote for now.
    Note: They do stop some twisting but you can do that with a spinning one to. I talked to FW into letting me buy both

BBKK
    IA

I don’t buy into the line twist issue, if you jig anything horizontal or with plastics its going to go around in a circle making line twists.. whether you have an inline or not. As long as you do not reel against your drag, a spinning reel will not create a line twist.

Spoons, plastics, jiggin raps, other hard baits, live minnows… they all go around in circles and put twists into your line, no matter what reel you have.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

No matter whether you reel against your drag or not a spinning reel creates line twist. It’s minimized drastically by inline reels due to the same directional travel of the line off and on the spool. You can reduce the always imparted twist of spinning reels with swivels and more supple lines.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What application are you talking about? I love my inline for shallow water gills, but once you get to over 15′ of water it becomes a nuisance.

For me you can throw out any advantages of using an inline, I use it just because I find it more fun than a spinning reel.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I use an inline reel on my TUCR noodle rod, which is a Ross brand. As far as drag, I feel that I don’t need to use one because I use my noodle rod for panfish. Let’s face it, how many people use a drag system for panfish? If I find that I need to use the drag, I just use my hand that I grip the reel with and use my palm to finess the drag system. It does have a drag system but I peel the line out by hand, no big deal to me, I’m not lazy and can get the lure down fast. If I hook into a pike that has broke my line, I just buy a new lure. It happens. An inline reel is definately a big advantage of not having coils and spinning lures that is not natural. Today I was using it at 18′ depth. Just giving my personal experience, I hope that helps.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Change the washers in the drags put in decent oil and there is no drag issue. I fought a 50″ muskie for a half hour with my EC inline on 4 pound test. Your not going to use the drag thing as a argument with me.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Let’s face it, how many people use a drag system for panfish?

I use it every day, its a necessity if you fish 2lb line for gills and crappie. In fact, I just got done upgrading all of the drag washers on my ice reels so they are smooth as butter.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

How about my quote of ” I can use my palm as a drag system.” Just my personal experience. I guess I can’t speak for anyone but myself. I should only speak for me, nobody else. I use 3 pound test as for my inline reel, my personal comfort.

dairycat

No drag for me either when fishing panfish! I have caught a lot of big fish on 2 lb. test. Crank the drag down and horse them in. No need for drag, unless your a movie star

shaley
    Milford IA

I use my inlines down to 50′ for perch, they drop faster than most my spinning reels. If your going deeper than 12-15′ get one with a free spool and not the 1:1 gearing got with a multiplier… I also use them for crappies and walleyes, they work great…

BBKK
    IA

The 14″+ crappie I caught on saturday took at least 15′ of line on his initial run, I thought it was a big bass. If I didn’t have drag it would have been long gone and I would have said “oh well, was probably a bass” Instead I landed my PB crappie. Probably not needed for big panfish, but when you get a giant you better hope you can reach that drag knob in time.

dairycat

I’d rather back reel than spend time I don’t have going through my reels fixing drags. I do use sedonas so far no probs. Put them on and use them. Its a reel not a space shuttle

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

No need for me to reach for the drag knob, it’s already set loose. Everybody has there own way of doing things that work for them, if it did we would all own the same gear. No need for anybody to get upset at another guy because it works for them and maybe not you.

Ekez

I use inlines for finess jigs and spinning for spoons. They both catch fish. You are better off getting a Sedona 500 though. The quality is way better than any inline out there. Maybe not the tear drop but that deal is 120 bucks!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Guess you could call what Im using a in line reel to. Forget about the drags and just thumb the spool. Gives what I think is a much truer fight to those fish. With no drag and thumbing the spool you need to feel know your line and equipment, feel the tension, watch the bend of the rod. Not only do you need to know when to give some line but need to watch to keep the right pressure on so they dont spit the hook. Now thumbing the spool when that pike or bass hits on light line is a true test of skills.

You can end up losing more fish this way but after catching so many fish its not always about getting them in. Sometimes the result of the fish winning is you loose you jig to. Just a split second mis judgement and its game over. Fun way to panfish.

dairycat

Couldn’t say it better myself Mike. I have a dozen or so Schooley poles on my tip downs. I do the same thing with my thumb, it is un-believable what you can catch with 2lb line with a little patience. Big bass and northerns.

shaley
    Milford IA

My 6061’s have landed many crappies up to 14.5 easily and bass over 4 pounds, landed a 19 3/4″ largemouth on my Okuma SLV 2/3 without issues to…All in how you have your stuff set up…. Some will always prefer a spinning reel some of us prefer the new style inlines line the 6061’s and Teardrops even with their cost….

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

Change the washers in the drags put in decent oil and there is no drag issue.

Where do you get the new washers and how do you know what ones are good? Also what kind of oil? Where do you buy your supplys at?

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Quote:

Quote:

Change the washers in the drags put in decent oil and there is no drag issue.

Where do you get the new washers and how do you know what ones are good? Also what kind of oil? Where do you buy your supplys at?

I was thinking the same thing. I got into some nice gills over the weekend and that initial run the drag was not very smooth.

BBKK
    IA

Almost any hardware store will have teflon washers, not going to be as good as some “drag washers” but will likely smooth a reel out that has no teflon washer. Be sure to oil or grease the washer.

On spinning reels it goes above the little cog gear under the spool. If there is a plastic piece there, it gets removed and you need a teflon washer the same size. If there is no plastic piece then you need a teflon disc that is just smaller than the cog gear.

On inline reels they go alongside your spool, where it gets tensioned to the frame.. different places for different models.

It does help a ton, it won’t make a $5 reel smooth as butter, but it will make a $20 reel’s drag very smooth!

You can also make your own by buying a sheet of the teflon material and cutting out a washer with a punch.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I have ordered synthetic drag washers and juiced up bearings from a place in japan to tweak my baitcasters! Honestly I also used Teflon washers from my local ace hardware and didn’t notice much difference between the specialty washers and the Teflon ones. It was a huge upgrade from the factory washers however. Now mind you were talking $400 reels also. So you can only imagine the difference it makes on $25 reels.

The other location on a inline to place a washer is inside the drag adjustment star where it buts up to the reel base.

I was turned on to a awesome lubricant far better than any standard reel lubricant. I’ve tried hot sauce, Abu, frabil, shimano, and bps! Ardent seems to be the best actual reel lube I found. However, the stuff I got turned on to blew all that stuff away!

http://crusaderweaponry.com/shop

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.