Deep Freeze!!! Will the fish still bite?

• jumbo1619
    NULL

It was 40 degrees in Wisconsin on Saturday and by Sunday Morning it had dropped to 0 degrees! With the barometric pressure still on the rise and the front starting to move in I headed for a nearby lake. I found active perch, bluegill and crappie darting off the bottom for most of the morning. It was a great day to be on the lake. With that being said, I woke up this morning (Monday) to a temperature of -18. I want to go explore some new lakes tomorrow and Wednesday but we will still be looking at overnight lows around -10 and highs around 0. With this cold front moved in for the next couple of days will the fish be inactive and will I be wasting my time driving to explore new water? Or do you think by tomorrow the fish will have adjusted to the extreme temperature change and begin feeding again. Tight lines!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Who the heck knows, just go hit it and give it a shot!

Welcome to IDO!

BBKK
    IA

Still going to be 33º where the fish are. Might be high pressure for the next few days, that might slow the fishing down.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Still going to be 33º where the fish are. Might be high pressure for the next few days, that might slow the fishing down.

For me that means go deep.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Last year we rented a sleeper on Mille Lacs when is was in the -20’s for three days straight. We still caught a lot of fish. We needed to fish slower though. All fish came on set lines.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I made it out quick for a couple hours this morning. The Crappies were just as aggressive as they were Friday when I was out. I was fishing in about 20 feet and the fish were coming up 5 feet and hitting the spoon on the drop. I would say that is a good sign.

Ekez

I was out from 2:00pm to 530pm and caught over 30 crappies. Took a little bit to find what they wanted. But once again it was a slender spoon tipped with red spikes. A good bite is getting harder to find in my area but there are fish to be had with the right persentation.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Took a little bit to find what they wanted.

x2. I was out Sunday and today in the portable. It took quite a bit of drilling, but once I was on them, they were rather stationary as I looked through the box, tying on different presentations. Big crappies and Gills, with a few small ones in between. They were patiently waiting for me until I found the right one – alternating between a Nuclear Ant with waxes, or a 1/16 silver Slender Spoon with red tape and some red larvae. They weren’t biting fast and furious, but a slower presentation was the ticket. Drilled about 10 holes over a crib and found them in a 15 ft pocket. Some holes were less than five feet apart, but that was all it took. Regardless, I’d still rather be giving it a shot than sitting at work! I lived in Las Vegas for five years! I don’t know how I lived without ice fishing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.