In-Line reels for pan fishing

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I don’t get all that often… and have never talked to anyone using an in-line reel. Seen the ido show this weekend (loved it as usual), and Joe was using one, Jim wasn’t. For panfishing light jigs, what is the overall impression now that these have been around for a while?

I often just use one of my summer ultalite reels on a basic jigging rod. Was thinking of a christmas gift for myself. I have some fly reels that have never been used, but these look to be designed more for the specific use.

Lastly, not looking to dump a bunch of cash on this… is there a big difference in brands. I was looking at the Eagle Claw, or some of the frabils.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Is there a difference between the Dick’s Sporting Goods Eagle Claw reel and the Sportsmans Guide? Price is almost the same but they look different

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Is there a difference between the Dick’s Sporting Goods Eagle Claw reel and the Sportsmans Guide? Price is almost the same but they look different

I would say they are the same, probably just the pic. If you look at the combo on [censored], it looks the same.

The only different one made has the red aluminum spool vs the plastic spool.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/tony-roach-in-line-ice-reel.aspx?a=1323055

Chuck Melcher

They do look close….

I not a fan of dickssporting goods, but there is a store close to home, if they are close on price vs shipping. Actually, looking at the one there on the site, it is a nylon reel, vs aluminum. Could it matter in the cold?

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

So would you go with…
    Eagle Claw® In-line Ice Fishing Reel $21.99
    or
    Wright & McGill® Tony Roach In-line Ice Fishing Reel $37.99
    (nonmember Sportsmans Guide prices)

Chuck Melcher

Me… I was looking at the cheeper one… as it is alum, and seems to have the same specs. I don’t need someone’s name, and red spool. That said, is a plastic spool better, I don’t have a clue on that.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

The one for $20 is the plastic spool…
    The red spool is aluminum…

robby
    Quad Cities

I bought one last year and love it. I just bought 3 more! Enough said? Well I’m windy I guess. The no line twist does in my confident opinion illicit more strikes due to the jig not helicoptoring. The gear ratio is perfect. Perhaps the best feature if the Eagle Claw is the free spool button! Great for letting your jig fall naturally or slowly by feathering the spool right back down to that magic depth. Just keep your eye on the Vexilar and be ready! Eagle Claw hit a grand slam with this one!! Almost forgot, the drag is pretty darned nice too. I caught a couple bonus 4lb LMB a few days ago and did not have any difficulties landing them.

JoeMX1825
    MN

if the drag system was improved on the Roach model then it’s worth the upgrade, if not, the Eagle Claw is no different..

Chuck Melcher

Perfect… guess I am off to spend a few more bucks. I’ll just blame it on all the good folks at ido. My wife liked that one after I bought a kicker motor back in June.

toxic11

I have three of them. Blackbetty, eagle claw grey and Tony roach eagle claw. I used all three reels last year. I had no issues fighting 20″+ trout. It takes little time to find a best way to work the drag.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I don’t really like the drag on the eagle claw and its not balanced at all. Most of the weight is left of center so its alwys wanting to rotate the rod to the left.this is the only in line real i have so not sure if the rest are like that but it drives me nuts. feels like im always trying to hold the left side up.

kennyd

do yourself a favor and just get an okuma SLV 2/3….ive tried them all and in my opinion it is the best for the money…enjoy!

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

For my preferred grip on the rod I do not like the in lines. I have tried a few of them and just feel more comfortable with spinning gear.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

For my preferred grip on the rod I do not like the in lines. I have tried a few of them and just feel more comfortable with spinning gear.

X2

robby
    Quad Cities

Just my opinion. Lol. Uguys are fun. Beat up a $20 reel.lol. I don’t need chemicals…..just the forums on I DO or any other site. Yes the balance falls to the left. Keeps in .y hand whenno fish showing on the vex. Hope the balance does not cause any issues like the eye glasses support deal in the movie “The Jerk”! I certainly don’t want any “exploding oil cans” when Im out ice fishing! I love this place.

duke.harbaugh

Quote:

The one for $20 is the plastic spool…
    The red spool is aluminum…

Any insight on which is better? Metal in sub zero temps and wet line doesn’t seem good? I am about to order one just not sure of which one exactly.

Jeff 715
    NULL

I have both the aluminum spool and plastic spool eagle claw reels. Really no difference between them. I do like the looks of the red aluminum spool. Have the red one on a Thorne Bros. tripwire rod. Make a nice combo.

duke.harbaugh

Perfect thanks. Thats the exact rod I am pairing it with. I liked the red spool as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.