James’ Video on Tip Ups on Mille Lacs

• Grawler

I’ve looked all over for the tip up rigs James was using on the Mille Lacs video he did. They were VMC hook rigs where the treble hooks had a one hook with an increased gap. I can’t find them anywhere…any help?

ps0345

I know Gander and Cabela’s had them last time I was there.

You’re looking for the VMC Sure Set Model 5536 and 5537
    It’s hard to find the smaller or medium sizes though.

fishinfool
    mn

you are in luck, I saved a hand picture of this little setup,,,,, it is fantastic

BUY ENOUGH PARTS TO MAKE YOUR OWN, AND ALOT CHEAPER THAN PRE-MADE PRICES IN STORES

FISHINFOOL

ps0345

Yeah I don’t know if they sell the complete rigs with the Sure Set hooks. I have always made my own or replaced the hooks on the quick strike set ups you can buy with the sure set hooks.

Great diagram fishinfool!

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I had the same problem and had to order the hooks and line on line at Rapala. I get frustrated with the retailers and what they stock in the stores in the Metro area. Gander Mountain is the worst.

I learn alot from watching the TV shows on line and make a point of buying the same tackle. The buyers for the retailers should be watching the show to stock the same tackle.

I almost always end up buying on line. I just wish Rapala would have more reasonable shipping rates. I don’t like to pay full retail and shipping and tax.

I do like buying from Custom Jigs and Spoons. If your order is over a certain amount free shipping and no tax.

Rapala should offer something similar.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

I’ve looked all over for the tip up rigs James was using on the Mille Lacs video he did. They were VMC hook rigs where the treble hooks had a one hook with an increased gap. I can’t find them anywhere…any help?

They’re actually a homemade quick-strike rig that I created a few years ago to target walleyes with larger minnows. I started tying my own because I didn’t find any of the store bought ones were made how I wanted to target walleyes and usually come with cheaper hooks. If you just want to buy rigs already made I would say google big-tooth tackle… I think they make a walleye specific quick strike now using flouro line as well.

If you want to make your own, here are the instructions.

– Take an 18-24″ section of 30# Suffix Flours Leader Line
    – Fold it in half and then tie a simple overhand know at the bent end leaving you with a small loop with two ~9″ ends
    – Tie a VMC sure set hook (they really do make a big difference vs standard treble) on to each line end so that they are exactly the same length and no more than 4-6″ from the loop (too much line may allow for tangles with an active minnow)
    – You can either tie directly to the loop or by using a crankbait snap.
    – Add a couple large enough sinkers to hold the minnow from moving too much… They’re looking for an easy meal and keeping them mostly in one location struggling can trigger more strikes as it looks like a wounded baitfish

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Another bit of advice when to use this approach… I typically only use a quick strike on 6″+ minnows and have no problem using even an 8″ sucker for walleyes.

For 4-6″ minnows I usually go with a single sure set treble.

For anything less than 4″ (fatheads, smaller shiners, rainbows) I go to a single hook. However the key here it to make sure you have a wide gap hook… If the gap of your hook is not a fair amount wider than the width of the minnow’s back you will lose fish due to the hook point burying in the minnow when you set the hook. I typically use a #1 or #2 VMC wide-gap hook.

Good luck and good fishing

Grawler

Thanks Will and everyone…just found and picked up some of the VMC at Scheels in Des Moines. Got the #4 and #6 size.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.