Ice Line Questions

• Aquaholic
    WI

Looking for information on Braid, I am getting tired of dealing with line memory.

What are good brands to look into?
    What pound test would you run? (Mostly pan fishing, and a few walleye trips in a winter)
    What kind of knot do you use to attach the leader to the braid?

Any other tips and advice are appreciated.

Thanks
    AH

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I run 4# for almost everything. All brands will do. In Northern Indiana I have little issue with ice ups and I am outside a lot. Also no leader but would use Alberto knot.

BBKK
    IA

I tried the fireline ice fused once and did not care for it, a straight braid might be better.. I don’t know.

What line were you using before that had memory issues? May I suggest you try sufix ice magic in 2lb and 3lb for panfish? It is a fantastic line and I have absolutely no memory in the line as long as I change it yearly. Of course the first time I lower each day I pull out with the drag instead of free line, so that might help straighten it out a bit.

Aquaholic
    WI

I am spooled with Ice Magic in 4lb right now. It was what I had on hand and really wanted to spool up the new rod and reel to get them on the ice.

BBKK
    IA

4lb is going to retain a lot more memory than the 2lb or 3lb. I’d spend the $3 and give 2lb a try before you switch to braid.

Also be aware that braid will freeze on a dime if you leave the shack when its below freezing. Panfish is a sensitivity game and frozen line/guides won’t help any. That’s why I didnt like the stuff I tried, 31ยบ and cloudy means I can’t use that rod.

MeatSandwich

I would also like some advice on ice line. What’s a good no stretch line for jigging spoons for walleye in deep water on the ice?

Mnfisher2015
    Milaca, MN

I’d give a mono a try, I use that and it is just a great line in my opinion. I used to be a braid guy but I made the switch and have zero regrets!!

MeatSandwich

Nothing wrong with the ol’ standard. Thanks

NoFish

I fish half braid half mono on the ice. It behaves a bit differently than mono and is much thinner at a given pound test. You either love it or you hate it, only way to know is to try some.

I would recommend looking in to some of the fused or coated braids, whether it’s fireline crystal or a braid designed for ice fishing. This will limit the ice up issue a bit.

Because the stuff acts a bit different, I run the same # test braid as I would mono, or one notch heavier. This year my heavier walleye rods have 8# mono and 10# braid. Some of the braids just see stiff with the light lures we fish through the ice.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I use Bionic Ice Braid and just love it.2-3 lb test. only bad part is its $8 dollars for 40 yards but its the best line iv ever had on my poles.

frezerfisher

And you do not have to change line like you would on reg. Line.On my soft water reels I change my braid every 3 years. I just reel the old line off to a new reel that I had backing on . This works great.

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

the fireline fused crystal ice line is the best braid ive used for ice fishing. it does freeze up a little more than mono but the stuff will not break i had two lb test tied to my couch and tried to break it by pulling it as hard as i could and couldn’t break it. its tough line with a thin diameter but it comes with its issues. if your really concerned about memory switch to an inline reel that should take care of most of your problems. also i use the palomar knot to tie the fireline. just like said before i use both braid and mono they both have their time and place. the mono i use is the trilene cold weather seems to do the trick for me

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Vanish is my secret ice weapon. Both the 2 and the 4 pound variety pending target species. Three reasons really. 1. Fluorocarbon does not stretch. 2. Fluorocarbon does not absorb water. 3. Strength and limpness are exceptional.

Line issues I had in the past were largely in part a product of a spinning reel and not the line per say. The retrieval action of a spinning reel will twist the line as it is being re-spooled. This action is enhanced and accelerated if you do not have your drag set right when fighting a bigger fish. Should never retrieve with a spinning reel when a fish is pulling drag no matter what type of line you are spooled with, yet it’s a difficult to resist when in the heat of battle.

With that said ~ yes, you can get bad spools of anything (out of box) that never seem to lose the factory memory.

You also have to take into consideration your choice of presentation with your choice of line. For example, not exactly an ideal setup to fish a 1/8oz slender spool with 2 lb mono. Or a #16 gill pill with a heavy braid.

I used to re-spool spinning reels two or three times in a 3 month ice season in my neck. I was quick to blame the line and went through a variety of brands and type of lines.

Four years ago I bought a fly reel as a result of the all the hype. They were the new buzz in ice fishing. A cheap $20 Cahill. I have since converted all my ice rods to fly reels. Line retrieval does not involve any twisting/rolling action off a fly reel. Straight on. Straight off. I spool new line at the beginning of each season now. And it’s a personal choice….Not a must because the line looks like a long lost relative of the original slinky.

I have had no issues with line twist and don’t need to worry about presentations acting like rotating helicopter blades.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Sufix castable floro in the low lb tests works well for me it is very limp, with poor memory. Also the 832 ice braid in 4lb test worked great last winter and is performing well this winter paired wiht 1/8 oz spoons for perch and eyes. – QB

Bryan Myers

I use Sufix 832 advance ice braid, but I don’t tie direct braid to leader. I prefer to tie the braid to a small swivel then Sufix fluorocarbon leader to the other side of the swivel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.