Winter Storm-Northwest Wisconsin

• jumbo1619
    NULL

There is only 3-4 inches of ice here in Western Wisconsin. Tonight into tomorrow we are supposed to pick up 6-7 inches of snow, followed by a deep freeze this weekend. Will this amount of snow have any affect on the ice formation and/or conditions? I was hoping to get out this weekend for the first time. Tight Lines!

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Lake Nebagamon area 8+” of snow over 3″ of ice with more snow coming. Weight of snow will put water/slush over the ice. Gonna be a mess. Hope this cold weather coming in will freeze the water/slush.

Bryan Myers

We have about 5″-6″ of heavy wet snow right now in Bloomer with more expected to fall over night and tomorrow. This is not going to be good for our ice. Hopefully we get the really cold temps there calling for this weekend to firm it back up and start making more ice. If your going out on the ice now be very careful and take extra precautions with all the extra weight on the ice.

jld
    Holmen

Soooo happy all that snow stayed north. Our ice in La Crosse appears to have held together and should really tighten up nicely with the bitter temps starting tonight. I think by Saturday AM we could have solid 5-6 inches of clear glass.

curleytail

In Hayward I measured a full 12 inches that has fallen in the last 2 days. I’m sure it was technically more than that since we got maybe 6 or so yesterday that was very very heavy, wet snow. Plowing with the ATV was like trying to push 1/2 setup concrete.

It’s going to wreak havoc on the new ice. I was out last weekend on some shallower lakes that had around 5 inches of great ice. Those might be ok, but are going to be slushy messes.

I checked the ice on LCO last Sunday. About 20 feet out my chisel went through in one hit. Around an inch of ice or so just out from shore. Appeared to have just frozen over a couple days before I was out. This snow is going to really screw that up, I think.

Hopefully the cold snap coming firms everything up, but it takes a LOT of cold to freeze that slush, especially under this much snow.

I’m just glad we didn’t get the 2 feet that Duluth has.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.