Ice Fishing Hut/Shanty/Shack? plans and ideas

• mikejson
    NULL

Hi all,

First post here, seems like this board is fairly active.

I’ve been meaning to build a new shack for some time now… well, this year, I stepped into a bigger shack then mine, and instantly got shack envy P

I’ll be starting to collect stuff from now until next fall in the hopes to keep costs down so my wife won’t make me live in whatever I build

Anyway, I’ve been researching like crazy trying to find some decent websites that would give me details on how to build the various parts of my shack.

I guess the typical ice shack where I’m from(Northern Ontario) isn’t the norm, cause anything I search for with Google, gives me all these dinky shanty things…

I’m looking for 8-12 X 16 shack, propane furnace, sleep 4+ type of thing. I fish a lake that has an ice road plowed, so I only have to “off-road” for a few hundred feet to get it to its “all winter” spot

Any tips for building, plans, pics, websites that anyone can provide is much appreciated. Pics of all aspects of construction of your shack would be much appreciated too.

I’m a handy guy, but I’ve never built anything of this magnitude… would feel better if I have an idea of what I’m doing before I start cuttin’ gluin’ and screwin’…

Thanks!
    Let’s hope this cold weather keeps up… could be on the ice in a week or 2 if it does

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Welcome to IDO

Best tip I can give ya is keep it light. 2X3 studs, aluminum skin and roof, light weight pink foam and a layer of foam in the floor.

Paul Delaney

I build my shacks 8×12 using treated lumber for the runners which are 2x12x14 feet long. I also use treated plywood for the floor. I frame the entire house using 2×2 studs sheeting the entire outside with aluminum. I buy rolls of aluminum that are 2 feet by 50 foot rolls and insulate the entire shack with 2″ foam insulation and use very thin panel sheets inside. The aluminum saves a lot of weight not being there and also is very tolerable to the weather and moisture no rotting wood. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Paul Delaney

http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.